none
New Thread - Windows 8 Boot Error Codes: 0X0000005D, 0X030F0209, 0X756E6547, 0X49656E69, 0X6C65746E RRS feed

• Question

• I loaded Win 8 from a USB drive, I removed the USB flash drive as instructed, the system then tried to boot. The title error codes appeared, it tells me to hold down the power button to restart which I did several times. I'm trying to install Win 8 on a Dell desktop, 2.2gb Intel processor, 2gb memory, 164gb WD harddrive. When I ran the Win 8 Manager Assistant, the only problem I might have was with the video since this is not a touch screen, otherwise it looked like everything should work. I can't find any history on this topic [except for XP and 2000], has anyone else encountered this problem and was able to resolve it?
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:59 PM

All replies

• older computers (even some Pentium 4 processors) are incompatible because their bios does not support the NX or memory protection function which prevents installation of windows 8, as it needs these functions to operate.   unless your bios has these functions, or there is an updated bios which adds these newer options to the bios it will not work.  unfortunately the system often will not boot into XP after a failed upadate windows 8 installation. your stuck with the 0x0000005D windows 8 error message telling you to restart (infinite loop) some people are using the repair option on their old win xp installation cd disk and "repairing" so as not to lose the OS and their files. then, you are back to embrionic xp with no updates.  a real pain.... they have to run windows update and download 140 new updates and re-install programs in some cases.    THIS IS A MISTAKE...  THERE IS AN EASIER FIX.... 

put in win xp install disck into d drive.ur  set bios boot option to boot to cd first.   when it reboots you see option to press ENTER to boot from the CD rom..   press enter and boot into win installation.  click on the first screen containing the Repair option.  this brings you to a black screen where you have to select which disk (old dos prompts)  type in "1" or "2" etc. (whereever the drive is that contains the xp OS)

then type  fixboot       this repairs the boot sectorto boot xp again (the win 8 install process had deleted that command on install)   enter  the word "EXIT"  (dos command)  and your system will reboot to exactly where it was in XP before you started.  

DO NOT USE THE DOS COMMAND   fixmbr because this will delete partition and you will LOSE EVERYTHING!!!  win os and your files

this worked for me.... I got booted up back to xp and all was exactly like it was before I started the win8 installation     THIS SAVES ALL THE TIME OF HAVING TO RE-INSTALL 10 YEARS WORTH OF XP UPDATES AGAIN AND RE-INSTALL PROGRAMS.

Friday, November 23, 2012 4:23 PM
  • Hello UJCrew.

I suggest you to ask your question in the Windows Answers Forum at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:24 PM
  • Just a clarification to the "Repair XP" instructions above.

" when it reboots you see option to press ENTER to boot from the CD rom..   press enter and boot into win installation. click on the first screen containing the Repair option"   (quoting geekgirlsb)

Is how you had worded it. It appears that one should hit enter to boot from CD, and enter again to begin XP installation. This is not correct. After hitting key to boot from disc, you are then immediately given an option to hit "enter" to install, or "R" to repair. You want to chose this "R" option (Recovery Console), DO NOT actually enter XP installation( by pressing "Enter")!  Because if you do, you ARE presented with a "repair" option, AND a black screen so you can choose what installation you want to fix (just like your instructions), but no DOS prompt. If you chose this mode, windows does everything on its own, and ... you guessed it! Back to "embrionic"XP.

Make sure BIOS will allow boot from CD.  Then press key to boot from CD.  Then select repair and follow the rest of the steps:

"type  fixboot       this repairs the boot sectorto boot xp again (the win 8 install process had deleted that command on install)   enter  the word "EXIT"  (dos command)  and your system will reboot to exactly where it was in XP before you started.  

DO NOT USE THE DOS COMMAND   fixmbr because this will delete partition and you will LOSE EVERYTHING!!!  win os and your files"

Cheers!

(quoting geekgirlsb)

Friday, December 14, 2012 6:02 PM
  • I followed the instructions given by geekgirlsb and it worked instantly for me.  When the PC was rebooted, it returned to the unscathed version of XP and a window opened that said the Windows 8 install was unsuccesful, click continue and it was gone!   The PC now works perfectly with absoulutely no loss of programs or data.  It was like the upgrade was never run.

I realize that this is not the correct forum, so I posted in the Microsoft Community Windows 8 forum for others to see.

Just wanted to acknowledge the suggestion from geekgirlsb.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 12:38 PM