Visual C++ basic program error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys.I'm new in programing and i'm getting this error...

Run-Time Check Failure #3 - The variable 'x' is being used without being initialized.

...in this program

#include<windows.h>

int _stdcall WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,LPSTR lpCmdLine,int nCmdShow){
        SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS x;
        if (x.BatteryFlag == 8)
         MessageBox(NULL,L"Battery is Charging.",L"Caution!",MB_ICONINFORMATION);

}

tell me please,what i'm doing wrong and if this program is able to get know if my laptop battery is charging.thnx.

Monday, January 26, 2015 1:49 PM

Answers

• On 1/26/2015 8:49 AM, DkMandar wrote:

SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS x;
         if (x.BatteryFlag == 8)

How do you expect x.BatteryFlag to acquire the value of 8 (or any other value)? Do you believe the structure will magically fill itself?

The documentation for SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS mentions the function you should use to initialize it.

Igor Tandetnik
    • Proposed as answer by John Boncek Monday, January 26, 2015 2:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 6:07 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 2:15 PM
  • its not working @Wyck.giving an error that illegal use of data type BOOL in an expression.

thnx for reply anyway!

My code worked for me:

#include <windows.h>
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
    	SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS status;
    	ZeroMemory( &status, sizeof( status ) );
    	BOOL result = GetSystemPowerStatus( &status );
    	if( !result )
    	{
    		// FAILED to get power status
    		return -1;
    	}

bool isCharging = (status.BatteryFlag & 8) != 0;
    	std::cout << "Charging: " << std::boolalpha << isCharging << std::endl;
    	return 0;
    }

And your code compiles too:

#include<windows.h>

int _stdcall WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance,HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,LPSTR lpCmdLine,int nCmdShow){
        GetSystemPowerStatus(&status);
        if(status.BatteryFlag == 8)
        MessageBox(NULL,L"Battery is charging",L"caution",MB_ICONINFORMATION);

}

So there's something you're not telling me.

What code are you compiling?  What was the error message?  What version of VC are you using?

• Marked as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 6:08 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:46 PM
  • Does status.BatteryFlag == 8?  What value does it have?

You don't check the error code from GetSystemPowerStatus so I have no idea whether that call failed or succeeded.

You also don't handle the case that status.BatteryFlag == 9.  This would be the case that the battery is charging and contains more than 66%.  You also don't handle 10 or 12, or potential future cases that haven't been defined yet.  You really want

if(status.BatteryFlag & 8)

But put a breakpoint on the if statement and look for yourself at what status is.

• Marked as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 6:06 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 5:24 PM

All replies

• What do you need as a more detailed explanation? I think "The variable 'x' is being used without being initialized."is a very helpful error message.

Maybe change the line

SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS x;

to this

SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS x;
    x=ZeroMemory(&x, sizeof(SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS));
    ZeroMemory initialize the structure SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS with zeros.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366920(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

• Edited by Bordon Monday, January 26, 2015 1:56 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 1:56 PM
  • i don't still understand that why it was necessary but it worked.

yet it is giving a new error message

'=' : cannot convert from 'void *' to 'SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS'

thnx for reply!

Monday, January 26, 2015 2:03 PM
  • On 1/26/2015 8:49 AM, DkMandar wrote:

SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS x;
         if (x.BatteryFlag == 8)

How do you expect x.BatteryFlag to acquire the value of 8 (or any other value)? Do you believe the structure will magically fill itself?

The documentation for SYSTEM_POWER_STATUS mentions the function you should use to initialize it.

Igor Tandetnik
    • Proposed as answer by John Boncek Monday, January 26, 2015 2:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 6:07 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 2:15 PM
  • You first have to call GetSystemPowerStatus( &x ); To set the values for the structure.

Also the BatteryFlag is a bit field that may contain other values so an appropriate check for charging is something like this:

ZeroMemory(&status, sizeof(status));
    BOOL result = GetSystemPowerStatus(&status);
    if (!result)
    {
    	return -1; 
    }

Monday, January 26, 2015 3:19 PM
  • alright.as u said @Igor Tandetnik,i tried hard.but i'm beginner and still doing something wrong.please identify my mistake.here is code>

#include<windows.h>

}

• Edited by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 4:35 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:15 PM
  • its not working @Wyck.giving an error that illegal use of data type BOOL in an expression.

thnx for reply anyway!

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:21 PM
  • SomeOne help me please...
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:32 PM
  • What isn't working?  Is the compiler giving error messages (what is the message, what line?)

Does the code not do what you expect?  If you use the debugger and put a breakpoint on your if statement, what value does status.BatteryFlag have?

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:35 PM
  • @SimonRev,

@ Wyck

program is supposed to show an massage of "battery is Charging",when i connect it to adapter.but instead it is showing these lines in output window...

'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Users\DkMandar\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Projects\Learning_first\Debug\Learning_first.exe', Symbols loaded.
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\user32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr100d.dll', Symbols loaded.
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\gdi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\imm32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msctf.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcrt.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\Jaksta\AC\x86\jaudcap.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    'Learning_first.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\bcryptprimitives.dll', Cannot find or open the PDB file
    1144) CheckProcessInRegistry: Got include list but no match was found.
    1144) IsProcessAllowed(C:\Users\DkMandar\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\Learning_first\Debug\Learning_first.exe) (80004005)
    1144) DllMain(ProcDetach) [OK]
    1144) DSound_Unhook
    1144) MCIWave_Unhook
    1144) AudioClient_Unhook
    1144) CAudioStreamMgr::Shutdown
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\Jaksta\AC\x86\jaudcap.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\combase.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sechost.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rpcrt4.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\sspicli.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cryptbase.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ole32.dll'
    'Learning_first.exe': Unloaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\advapi32.dll'
    The program '[4420] Learning_first.exe: Native' has exited with code 1 (0x1).

and doing nothing else!

thnx for ur reply.

• Edited by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 4:54 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:41 PM

thnx for reply anyway!

My code worked for me:

#include <windows.h>
    #include <iostream>

int main()
    {
    	ZeroMemory( &status, sizeof( status ) );
    	BOOL result = GetSystemPowerStatus( &status );
    	if( !result )
    	{
    		return -1;
    	}

std::cout << "Charging: " << std::boolalpha << isCharging << std::endl;
    	return 0;
    }

And your code compiles too:

#include<windows.h>

}

So there's something you're not telling me.

What code are you compiling?  What was the error message?  What version of VC are you using?

• Marked as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 6:08 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 4:46 PM
  • output shows some lines in output window when i compile MY code.and i told already which lines.

i'm using VC++ 2010.

Monday, January 26, 2015 4:49 PM
  • Does status.BatteryFlag == 8?  What value does it have?

You don't check the error code from GetSystemPowerStatus so I have no idea whether that call failed or succeeded.

You also don't handle the case that status.BatteryFlag == 9.  This would be the case that the battery is charging and contains more than 66%.  You also don't handle 10 or 12, or potential future cases that haven't been defined yet.  You really want

if(status.BatteryFlag & 8)

But put a breakpoint on the if statement and look for yourself at what status is.

• Marked as answer by DkMandar Monday, January 26, 2015 6:06 PM
    Monday, January 26, 2015 5:24 PM
  • yep u r right @SimonRev. it was not battery flag status 8.thats why it was not showing msg.so i used ACLineStatus instead, and it worked. here is code>

#include<windows.h>

if(status.ACLineStatus == 1)

}

it shows a msg if adapter is connected.now i need to work to upgrade this program to show a msg when battery get fully charged. u guys were right too @Igor Tandetnik, and @Wyck.thank u all guys for helping me.

Monday, January 26, 2015 6:17 PM