Environment variable for package configuration RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi, gurus,

Thanks for your kind attention.

I am having a problem with environment variable for my SSIS package configuration. The thing is I can find the variable within the package configuration collection, but I can not see it from the system environment variables. When I open up the package, it always gives me warning that the specified environment variable can not be found. Can any of you give me any advices for it? Do I have to restart the machine where my package is running on?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and I am looking forward to hearing from you shortly.

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 8:08 AM

Answers

• One of the huge benefits you can get from using environmental variables is the ability to use indirect configurations.  I.e. your environmental variable points the package to the file location / server / whatever where the rest of your configurations for this environment are located.  Thus, you can have one set of configurations for your dev environment, another for your test environment, a third for QA and a fourth for production, etc...  There are a number of threads on the forums here dealing with this as well as a number of really good blog posts on the web.  If you do a little searching around I think you'll find that indirect configurations are highly recommended...

http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/11/02/SSIS_3A00_-Indirect-configurations-ROCK_2100_.aspx

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:16 PM

All replies

• Two things: First, you do not have to restart the machine, although you will have to shut down any process that might be keeping that variable in scope for SSIS, i.e. all BIDS instances, etc.  Second, are you sure that you choose environment variable and not user variable?
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008 12:21 PM
  •  

Hi,

That's an environement variable for sure. The thing is it is not seen still on the machine.

But my initial idea was only to create the environment variable for the package configuration. Now it seems I dont need to create the environment variable for it.

But I still wonder what are the benefits we can get from creating the environemnt variables then? I would like to get the opinions from you gurus here and consider whether or not we are going to set up the environemt variable.

Thanks a lot and hope to hear from you on it.

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 2:26 PM
  • One of the huge benefits you can get from using environmental variables is the ability to use indirect configurations.  I.e. your environmental variable points the package to the file location / server / whatever where the rest of your configurations for this environment are located.  Thus, you can have one set of configurations for your dev environment, another for your test environment, a third for QA and a fourth for production, etc...  There are a number of threads on the forums here dealing with this as well as a number of really good blog posts on the web.  If you do a little searching around I think you'll find that indirect configurations are highly recommended...

http://blogs.conchango.com/jamiethomson/archive/2005/11/02/SSIS_3A00_-Indirect-configurations-ROCK_2100_.aspx

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for that. It's highly valuable. Really appreciated it.

Best regards,

Yours sincerely,

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:03 PM
  • When we create this environmental variable in windows, is it supposed to be a user variable or a system variable?
    Monday, September 12, 2011 9:15 AM
  • When we create this environmental variable in windows, is it supposed to be a user variable or a system variable?

System variable, otherwise it is only available for the current user.

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Friday, December 14, 2012 11:46 PM