Can I add individual new aspx/dll files to a compiled website? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1998709803 posted

Hello,

I have a Visual Studio 2005 Project Website Build question I hope someone can answer.

We have a strong named site with the 'Create a separate assembly for each page and control output' selected. It has been built and pushed to production successfully. The precompile option of 'Allow this precompiled site to be updatable' is not checked.

I would like to add a new ASPX file (new.aspx) to my development project environment, build, and push just the new files to the production server (ex. new.aspx, bin/App_Web_new.aspx.cdcab7d2.dll, and new.aspx.cdcab7d2.compiled). Then I would like to call it directly. I've not been able to successfully to this with new files but we are able to successfully update existing dlls with new functionality.

Is adding just new aspx files (and dll's) to a precompiled site possible? Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks, Derek

(Moderator:  My original post was deleted from both forums so please don't delete this post)

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 11:41 PM

Answers

• User312496708 posted

yes all you need to do is upload the new dll and the aspx files and this should work. Remmeber this will make the applictaion restart (by itself) once

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:44 AM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

I suggest you precompile your website and then re-deploy it on the server if it is possible.

As far as I know, it works when we replace the dll with new one.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:21 AM

All replies

• User312496708 posted

yes all you need to do is upload the new dll and the aspx files and this should work. Remmeber this will make the applictaion restart (by itself) once

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:44 AM
  • User-1998709803 posted

Thanks Vikram,

Unfortunately, only swapping out the new files does not work for me. I get the" not precompiled error" when I try this out on a simple site.   

A coworker of mine just found out that it does work if I also swap out the bin/<websiteName>.dll file in addition to the new files mentioned previously.   What is this file for (bin/<websiteName>.dll) anyway?  I a little nervous of swapping this file out in a complex production site with the associated change with may include new files, changed files, and deleted files.

Is replacing bin/<websiteName>.dll a safe thing to do in this context?

Thanks,

Derek

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:00 PM
  • User372121194 posted

Hi,

I suggest you precompile your website and then re-deploy it on the server if it is possible.

As far as I know, it works when we replace the dll with new one.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 12:21 AM