none
Boot with TPM enabled on several machines RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a single USB stick with a Windows 7 Embedded Standard installation as test scenario. My goal is to boot this USB stick on several different machines, all with TPM enabled in the BIOS.

The USB stick works perfectly on the machine where it was installed. If I try to boot the stick on another machine, it triggers a BSoD just before displaying the desktop. If I disable the TPM module in the BIOS, the stick boots fine.

Is it possible to boot from the stick without disabling TPM? I didn't encrypt the USB drive with BitLocker or anything equivalent. The BSoD is generic and doesn't really display any useful information.

Any general information about TPM is also very welcome, I couldn't find anything useful anywhere.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:19 PM

All replies

• What happens if you disable the TPM driver in the image? Do you still get BSOD?

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:19 AM
  • I cannot disable the TPM module, only uninstall it. The disable button in the device manager is grayed out.

But I did uninstall it, enabled the FBWF write filter and rebooted. Then tried it on another machine, but it still triggers a BSoD.

I read about some boot-time validations, but I don't know if this is related in any way:

"A Trusted Platform Module (TPM) authenticates general purpose computing platforms. This is done by taking platform integrity measurement and comparing it with a precomputed value at boot-time"

source: http://www.mzahran.com/iccd2010.pdf

I also tried multiple devices, they all trigger the BSoD.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:30 AM