upgrade server 2008 standard R2 to enterprise 2008 R2, will it effect SQL standard R2 server? RRS feed

• Question

• I was told "It might" and that's it. We will have a full backup of the SQL Server, so at worse case scenario, import everything back over if all h3ll breaks loose. Any incite, comments, other questions? This is an in place upgrade, run CLI and DISM.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It should not affect. I have done that on Windows Server 2008, but not with Windows Server 2008 R2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You just need to perform an edition upgrade using the following method:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707783.aspx  

In-place upgrade applies when you are upgrading from an old version/release of SQL Server to a newer version.

Performing a backup prior the upgrade is always a good practice.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:32 PM
  • Albert,

Thanks for the directions for upgrading sql standard r2 to sql enterprise r2. You might have misinterpreted what i was asking or i might have been unclear.

IF i upgrade the Server OS from Server 2008 R2 Standard to Server 2008 R2 Enterprise, will it effect the SQL Server currently running on that box? I'm assuming NO since it is just an OS upgrade, but you never know once you upgrade your OS on the server.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hello,

It should not affect. I have done that on Windows Server 2008, but not with Windows Server 2008 R2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:11 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:09 PM