none
Provisioning fails: The network name cannot be found while configuring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I trying to develop a filter driver as a part of it i am working on a sample from msdn "Write a KMDF driver based on a template" .

I followed the steps mentioned in the sample ,but while configuring the target computer at the time of provisioning target computer from VS2012 i am getting the following error message.

Connecting to computer "64windows8" Installing driver test automation service Getting computer system information Copying driver test automation files The network name cannot be found.

After that a login prompt appearing asking for credentials to connect to the target computer

My host computer is on windows7 machine and target computer on windows8 machine.

I am able to ping between both machines and able to access the share folders in both machine.

Pls help me with your replies

Thanks,

V-KG

• Edited by V-KG Monday, April 22, 2013 10:08 AM
    • Moved by Jesse Jiang Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:33 AM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 10:04 AM

Answers

• Hi

If target is Win 7 then you have to set some policy so that remote login using local account is not filtered out of administrator.

Please refer below link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vistacompatteam/archive/2006/09/22/766945.aspx

This will allow provisioning done remotely.

Friday, June 7, 2013 6:18 AM
  • sstangam is right. This is true for any machine that is part of a workgroup and is not joined to a domain, whether it is using Windows 7 or 8. Another workaround for that is to use the built-in Administrator account (which is what the provisioning documentation suggests).

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:08 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

I think your issue should be raised in the Windows WDK and
    Driver Development Forum
    I believe they will know more information of this issue than us, and I will move this one to that forum.

Thanks for your understanding,

Best regards,

Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:33 AM
  • thanks Jesse

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:34 AM
  • Go on the target machine (64windows8) and run the following command in a command prompt: "net share". Do you have a "DriverTest$" share whose Resource is C:\DriverTest ?

You should also have a named pipe open on the target machine, which needs to be reachable from the host machine. If the above share exists, try the following command from the host machine: "echo . > \\64windows8\pipe\DriverTestSvc" . This should suceed without giving you any error message. If it doesn't, let me know.

If the above fails with an "unauthorized access" error, try accessing "\\64windows8\ADMIN$" from an explorer window (windows+e) on the host machine. This should be accessible (and if not, you should input valid credentials to access it, namely the Administrator credentials).

Let me know the results of the above steps, and we can proceed from there if necessary!

Max -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply.

The "net share" command shows "operation completed succesfully" message but the folder named C:\DriverTest not existing in the target computer.

When i manually create a DriverTest folder in C:\ of target computer ,and executing the "echo . > \\64windows8\pipe\DriverTestSvc" command from host machine command prompt  "Login Failure: Unknown user name or bad  password" message is getting.

From the explorer window when  i entered\\64windows8\ADMIN$   it asks for the credentials and when i entered the admin credentials still  i am not able to access the folder.

Thanks,

V-KG

• Edited by V-KG Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:23 AM
  • Weird that C:\DriverTest did not exist on the target computer. Go to the services manager (windows + R, "services.msc") and make sure that the "DTSvc" service is in the list of services and is running. Just in case, you might want to restart it. Once it is running, run the "net share" command and you should have the "DriverTest$" share in the list it outputs.

As for the credentials issue, I know I've seen some cases where you really need to use the built-in Administrator credentials (not any admin's credentials, but the ones from the default Windows Administrator account). I suggest you look at this link in the "Host and target are joined to a workgroup" section: it explains what you need to do to activate the Administrator account and correctly configure a target joined to a workgroup.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 4:00 PM
  • There is no such service named  "DTSvc" in "services.msc".

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:22 AM
  • Then that's the problem.

This service should have been installed during the "Installing driver test automation service" step, and is a crucial step of provisioning (everything depends on that service being present on the target).

I would suggest trying to provision again and see if it resolves the issue. Make sure you follow the instructions given in this link.

If that still doesn't work, last resort step would be to install the service manually on the target (the service is typically located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.0\Tools\<target_architecture>\DTSvc.exe ) and then restart provisioning. I do not advise doing that unless you are familiar with managing Windows services. You can use sc.exe to install DTSvc.exe as a service on your target machine. Something like the following should work:

sc create DTSvc type= own binpath= <path_to_DTSvc.exe> error= ignore DisplayName= DTSvcstart= auto

Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Hi

If target is Win 7 then you have to set some policy so that remote login using local account is not filtered out of administrator.

Please refer below link

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vistacompatteam/archive/2006/09/22/766945.aspx

This will allow provisioning done remotely.

Friday, June 7, 2013 6:18 AM
  • sstangam is right. This is true for any machine that is part of a workgroup and is not joined to a domain, whether it is using Windows 7 or 8. Another workaround for that is to use the built-in Administrator account (which is what the provisioning documentation suggests).

Friday, June 7, 2013 4:08 PM