none
office shared Add-in using C#. not show button. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use  C# in visual studio 2010 to build the an application for office shared in project,

I follow the link (support.microsoft.com/kb/302901/en_us )to created the project, after not button show in office word, I don't know why.

Thanks

• Moved by Fred Bao Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:33 AM Office Related
    • Moved by Cindy Meister MVPModerator Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:13 AM not Word-specific, so best addressed in General Office Development
    Monday, May 12, 2014 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Jim,

I’ve tested the code from KB302901 on Word 2007 and Word 2010. There would be a “Custom Button” added to “Add-In” ribbon in both systems.

So you may need to check whether the Shared Add-in is loaded successfully in Word 2010 (Developer > COM Add-Ins).

By the way, we start to use Ribbon as new interactive User Interface from Office 2007. As Cindy mentioned, the recommend way to customize UI for Office 2007 or above version is using Ribbon UI.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Monday, May 19, 2014 1:37 AM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:53 AM

All replies

• Monday, May 12, 2014 10:20 PM
  • Thanks, maybe due to use  office 2010. I will try it in office 2007
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 1:18 AM
  • Hi Jim

Please note that the article you reference targets Office 2003. Office 97 through 2003 used menus and toolbars as interfaces to application commands. Office 2007 and later uses the RIBBON. Some Office applications still support the CommandBar object model in a limited manner: the customizations will appear ONLY in the Add-ins tab of the Ribbon. Check there whether the button you've defined is displayed...

You'll find information on the Ribbon and how to incorporate it in a Shared Add-in in this article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338202.aspx

Note that for some odd reason you need to scroll down quite a ways to get to the article text.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Thanks, Cindy

I am doing in project for all office application, not only word. or excel.  so I don't think I need Ribbon,

Jim

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:07 PM
  • Hi Jim

<mmmm>Most Office apps incorporated the Ribbon in version 2010...?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Cindy,

the link (support.microsoft.com/kb/302901/en_us) works for office 2007.  I just tried it.

do you know why it is not working for office 2010?

Thanks.

Jim

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Which application(s) are you testing in? Some (PowerPoint among them, I think) no longer support the CommandBars object model...

And, as I said in my first reply, any customization you make will be in the Ribbon's ADD-INS tab, no where else. Even if you make a new CommandBar object or a menu, it will be incorporated in the Ribbon's add-ins tab, only.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:11 PM
  • I tested word, excel , PowerPoint, access in office 2007,  all of them work.   you means the code works for office 2007. no longer work for office 2010. do you have some related links for office 2010 shared Add-in using C#?

Thanks.

Jim

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Hi Jim,

I’ve tested the code from KB302901 on Word 2007 and Word 2010. There would be a “Custom Button” added to “Add-In” ribbon in both systems.

So you may need to check whether the Shared Add-in is loaded successfully in Word 2010 (Developer > COM Add-Ins).

By the way, we start to use Ribbon as new interactive User Interface from Office 2007. As Cindy mentioned, the recommend way to customize UI for Office 2007 or above version is using Ribbon UI.

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Marvin_Guo Monday, May 19, 2014 1:37 AM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:53 AM
  • Jeffrey,

Thanks, yes, I haven't added my add-in project to com Add-ins . Thank you all the info.

Jim

• Edited by jim_ma Wednesday, May 14, 2014 3:07 PM
    Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:04 PM