none
Security Update for Microsoft Excel 2013 (KB3085502) 32-Bit Edition causing issues in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just wanted to let know after installing this update - using Excel Add-in become unworkable because of graphics issues. How this happens: My clients using few functions in Excel Add-in, after they close and open another workbook Excel starting to do crazy things with graphics, just trying to scroll or select 2 columns all columns and rows mess-up, also we can't edit cells because what ever you write and press enter nothing changes, Closing Add-in helps for a few moments. Already on 6 clients PC this happened - Uninstalling this (KB3085502) update resolves problem. Here are images:

First how it is in normal state.

After i try to Scroll with mouse and Select 2 columns(H,I):

Here is an update which cause all these problems.

September 2015 Office Update Release:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office_sustained_engineering/archive/2015/09/08/september-2015-office-update-release.aspx

• Edited by Julius Bank Monday, September 21, 2015 6:53 AM
    Monday, September 21, 2015 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Julius,

Since you mentioned that the add-in use the few functions, would you mind sharing more detail how we can reproduce this issue? Does this issue occur if you disable the add-in?

In addition, if this issue is urgent, I also suggest that you contacting Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged.

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 2:40 AM
  • Thank you for your reply Fei Xue. If I'm right in my Country(Lithuania) there is no Support for VSTO/VBA :)

Before i started to search how to reproduce this issue I have installed Office 2016 Preview version to try and you know it works good, nothing bad happend. My clients with Excel 2007/2010 (32-bit) with all Office updates have no problems at the moment. So this problem is only in Excel 2013 (32-bit) (15.0.4753.1000 version),

After long hours cutting code I manage to reproduce this Error/Issue. Since I can't upload files directly i have uploaded them here:

http://speedy.sh/yCJPZ/klaida.xlsm
    http://speedy.sh/BY265/2-1-4.xlsx

Instructions how to reproduce this Error/Issue:

1. You need to open "klaida.xlsm" file, you will notice that sheets are hidden and it should be.

2. In Visual Basic Editor "Sub atidarom" replace second parameter string where you saved file "2_1_4.xlsx"

3. Run "Sub atidarom", after file opens try to scroll Up and Down you will see it's all ok.

4. Run "Sub to_make_error" - if you skip this you won't see this Error/Issue.

5. Run "Sub ne_ok_samatele", it will close file.

6. Now again run "Sub atidarom" and try to scroll up/down you will see visual issues on Excel.

Also noticed another strange thing. If in "Sub oksamateleNET2(bulis As Boolean)" i comment "Workbooks("klaida.xlsm").Activate" i can't reproduce this issue even with 4 Step.

I will write again: this issue started from the moment me and my clients on Excel 2013(32-bit) installed latest 2015 September updates. Uninstalling (KB3085502) solves the problem.

As always sry for my English. I will write VBA code here too:

Sub to_make_error()
        Dim v19 As String
        v19 = nuskaityti_formata(Range("I8"))
    End Sub

Sub atidarom()
        OpenSamata "2_1_4.xlsx", "C:\SamExpertV6\Data\"
    End Sub

Sub ne_ok_samatele()
        oksamateleNET2 False
    End Sub

Function nuskaityti_formata(x As Range) As String
        nuskaityti_formata = x.NumberFormat
    End Function

Sub Mygtukai_Ne_SAM()
        Dim i As Integer, sh As Worksheet
        For Each sh In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets
            With sh
                .Range("L1").Value = False
                For i = 1 To .DrawingObjects.Count
                   .Shapes(i).OnAction = ""
                Next i
            End With
        Next sh
    End Sub

Sub oksamateleNET2(bulis As Boolean)
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        Mygtukai_Ne_SAM
        ActiveWorkbook.Close False
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
        Workbooks("klaida.xlsm").Activate
    End Sub

Sub OpenSamata(ByVal sampavad As String, ByVal dir_sam As String)
        Dim WIN_TITLE As String
        Dim Directory As String
        Dim Kompleksas As String
        Dim Objektas As String
        Dim samata As String
        Dim g118 As String
        Dim g119 As String
        Dim i As Integer

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        g118 = dir_sam & sampavad
        g119 = sampavad
        atidaryti (g118)
        If Windows(g119).Visible = False Then Windows(g119).Visible = True

Workbooks(g119).Activate
        WIN_TITLE = "error testing"
        ActiveWindow.Caption = WIN_TITLE
        Mygtukai_Taip_SAM
        Rows("6:6").EntireRow.AutoFit
        Rows("7:7").EntireRow.AutoFit

ActiveWindow.WindowState = -4137
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Sub atidaryti(failas As String)
        Dim s, s1, nl, nl1 As String
        s = Application.International(3)
        If s = "," Then s1 = "." Else s1 = ","
        nl1 = """0" & s1 & "00"""
        nl2 = """0" & s & "00"""
        opend failas, 0
        If Range("C1").Value = 0 Then Exit Sub

sh.Cells.Replace What:=nl1, Replacement:=nl2, LookAt:=xlPart, _
                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
            sh.Range("S_P1").Offset(1, 7).Resize(4, 1).Replace What:=s1, Replacement:=s, LookAt:=xlPart, _
                SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
            With sh.Range("S_P1").Offset(1, 1).Resize(sh.Range("C1").Value, 1)
                .Replace What:="=0" & s1, Replacement:="=0" & s, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
                .Replace What:="=1" & s1, Replacement:="=1" & s, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
                .Replace What:="=2" & s1, Replacement:="=2" & s, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
                .Replace What:="=3" & s1, Replacement:="=3" & s, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
            End With
        Next
    End Sub

Sub Mygtukai_Taip_SAM()
        Dim i As Integer, sh As Worksheet

With Columns("P:P")
            .ColumnWidth = 10
            .EntireColumn.Hidden = True
        End With

With sh
                .Range("L1").Value = False
                For i = 1 To .DrawingObjects.Count
                    Select Case Trim(.DrawingObjects(i).Text)
                    Case "Įveskite darbą"
                        .DrawingObjects(i).OnAction = "DARBASN." & immm & "!DARAKTAS_y"
                    Case "Trinti"
                        .DrawingObjects(i).OnAction = "DARBASN." & immm & "!DELETE"
                    Case "Spausdinti"
                        .DrawingObjects(i).OnAction = "DARBASN." & immm & "!PRINTT"
                    Case "Įterpti darbą"
                        .DrawingObjects(i).OnAction = "DARBASN." & immm & "!ITERPTI"
                    Case "OK"
                        .DrawingObjects(i).OnAction = "DARBASN." & immm & "!ok_samatele"
                    Case "Ne_OK"
                        .DrawingObjects(i).OnAction = "DARBASN." & immm & "!Ne_ok_samatele"
                    End Select
                Next i
            End With
        Next sh
    End Sub

Sub opend(ByVal path As String, Optional ll As String, Optional bb As Boolean)
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        Application.Workbooks.Open path, True, bb
        Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    End Sub

Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:51 AM
  • Hi Julius,

>>1. You need to open "klaida.xlsm" file, you will notice that sheets are hidden and it should be.

2. In Visual Basic Editor "Sub atidarom" replace second parameter string where you saved file "2_1_4.xlsx"<<

There is no sheet visible when I open the "klaida.xlsm" file and I am also not able to find any modules in the Visual Basic Editor. It is like figure below:

Did I misunderstand?

>>If I'm right in my Country(Lithuania) there is no Support for VSTO/VBA :)<<

You can request an incident via link below for Lithuania:
    Professional Support Options

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 7:48 AM
  • On Office 2007(windows 7) it's opening normal. I have noticed that Protected View is blocking file. To bypass this you need to open  -> "Excel options" -> "Trust Center" - "Protected View" - > and disable first check box "Enable Protected View for files originating from the Internet".

Tried on 2 PC Excel 2016, Excel 2013 both - 32 bit. And it helped.

• Edited by Julius Bank Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:17 AM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:16 AM
  • Hi Julius,

Thanks for the detail information for this issue. After disable the option, I can reproduce this issue too.

Since the issue is complex, I suggest you contacting Microsoft support to raise an incident so that our engineer could work closely with him to identify the root cause and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged.

Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Regards & Fei

Friday, September 25, 2015 8:02 AM
  • I am experiencing the same symptoms as the original poster, but i can reproduce it very simply in excel 2013. It doesn't seem to be a problem in 2010.  haven't tried 2007

Create a sample addin project.

Add a ribbon control that invokes the following code in a button click event:

private void button1_Click(object sender, RibbonControlEventArgs e)
            {
                ThisAddIn.Current.Application.ScreenUpdating = false;
                try
                {
                    var workbook = ThisAddIn.Current.Application.Workbooks.Add();
                    workbook.Close(false);
                }
                finally
                {
                    ThisAddIn.Current.Application.ScreenUpdating = true;
                }
            }

I'm not sure the best way to get a reference to the addin from the ribbon code, so I have a static member ThisAddIn.Current that i initialize thusly in my addin skelaton:

public static ThisAddIn Current;
            private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
            {
                ThisAddIn.Current = this;
            }

When activating the ribbon control, i turn off screen updating and add a workbook, then close it.

This leaves the current active workbook in a hosed up state.

If you leave screen updating alone, then everything is fine.

Hope that helps.  Will probably also submit this to MS support, but since they are generally so awful to work with, thought i'd post here first, just in case anybody already knows a quick work around.

Sunday, October 4, 2015 9:31 PM
  • Hi rreynolds,

We can use Globals.ThisAddIn to refer to the ThisAddin class from an application-level add-in project.

And I am not able to reproduce this issue after I use Globals.ThisAddIn. Please let me whether it is helpful for you.

Regards & Fei

Monday, October 5, 2015 10:05 AM
  • Ya, thanks for that tip.  I knew there was some mechanism like that, but forgot it.  

Unfortunately, i think there's more to it than i originally thought.

Dang.

I'll come back if i have more info.

Monday, October 5, 2015 3:25 PM