Political Campaign Button Effect RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am playing with a "photo booth" idea but am stuck on the execution. I'd like to let the user load an image and then process it to look like a campaign button.:

1. Load an image control with an image. (Easy)
    2. Mask the image so it's round. (Easy)
    3. Change the edges of the image so it looks like a Campaign button that you would wear. The effect has me hung up. (Hard???)

Does anyone have an idea of the combinations of effects required to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

Matthew McDermott, MVP SharePoint
    Saturday, July 9, 2011 4:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Mathew,

I'm assuming you're building in blend.

...so as a designer, I'm going to say easy effect but it really depends on the ability to balance form and color. In general though, there is a "recipe" to it IMO.

http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/uberglassorb

The above link is from the gallery (zachery Bauer). It may be too much for what you want but notice how the rim of the button is handled as well as the gradient elipse that has start and end alpha settings (gives a reflective effect). You can find similar styles online orin the gallery that use similar effects too.

Hope that helps.

Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Mathew,

I'm assuming you're building in blend.

...so as a designer, I'm going to say easy effect but it really depends on the ability to balance form and color. In general though, there is a "recipe" to it IMO.

http://gallery.expression.microsoft.com/uberglassorb

The above link is from the gallery (zachery Bauer). It may be too much for what you want but notice how the rim of the button is handled as well as the gradient elipse that has start and end alpha settings (gives a reflective effect). You can find similar styles online orin the gallery that use similar effects too.

Hope that helps.

Saturday, July 9, 2011 11:15 PM
  • Carmine,

Yes, in Blend.

This looks great and should get me started. I have a lot to learn about alpha settings.

Matthew

Matthew McDermott, MVP SharePoint
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 11:39 AM