SMB RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guru's

An architectural question.

Let's say I have an SMB source that can only use SMB 1.0 (old legacy system).

Now, assume I create a Windows Server 2016 virtual machine with SMB 1.0 'installed' (FS-SMB Support) and I mount an Azure Files Share, will the legacy SMB 1.0 source be able to write/read data to the 'mounted' (mapped drive) Azure Files disk volume / share on the Windows Server?

In other words, does the entire SMB comms session from the originating source to the target (Azure Files) need to support SMB 2.10 or SMB 3.0 to succeed OR does the comms go SMB 1.0 to server and then SMB 3.0 to Azure Files?

thanks

Monday, January 27, 2020 10:04 PM

Answers

• A Server 2016 already implements SMB 3+ so if you mount an azure file share in said Server 2016 VM, it will use that to the azure storage. Installing SMB1 on that same VM is about SMB protocol for file shares that the VM exposes. So your other source can use SMB1 to upload the data to the VM and then the VM can upload the data to azure storage using SMB3.

Azure Files does not support SMB1 (for security reasons) so you cannot mount an azure file share on a machine which only supports that protocol version (Windows XP maybe?)

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 2:24 AM

All replies

• A Server 2016 already implements SMB 3+ so if you mount an azure file share in said Server 2016 VM, it will use that to the azure storage. Installing SMB1 on that same VM is about SMB protocol for file shares that the VM exposes. So your other source can use SMB1 to upload the data to the VM and then the VM can upload the data to azure storage using SMB3.

Azure Files does not support SMB1 (for security reasons) so you cannot mount an azure file share on a machine which only supports that protocol version (Windows XP maybe?)

Tuesday, January 28, 2020 2:24 AM
  • Thank you!
    Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:25 PM