• Question

• Hey,
    Got different versions on my Windows XP;

2.0 Service Pack 2
    2.0 SP 2 - Language Pack

3.0 SP 2
    3.0 SP 2 - Language Pack

3.5 SP 1

1- For obvious reasons these take a lot of space, can I remove any of them and which? 
    2- Are they a built up or separate? 
    3- If I can only use the latest 3.5 SP1;  is there a language pack with it?
    4- I have not been able to update anything for over a year.  It keeps telling me, Windows has some new installs for me but won't download properly.  Sorry I can't tell you the specific error it gives me, but I believe it has to do
    with a previous version as it is related to a Service Pack 2.  Sorry I know it's vague, but it takes for ever before I get the error message.  If you can't give me any idea, I'll try it again and post more info.

In the meantime I'd appreciate any help you people can give me.

Sunshine

Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Sunshine01,

Thank you for your post.

1- For obvious reasons these take a lot of space, can I remove any of them and which? 

Referring to removal of any the versions of the .NET Framework on XP, it depends on the applications that are ran on your PC.

For applications, if you have some application based on any .NET Framework on your PC, you cannot remove it since you need it to support the application to run properly.

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2. This means that .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be removed because they are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. If you have any application based on .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, please leave .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on your machine.

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1. They are separate products.

The answer is yes. You can downalod the language pack from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8489ED13-B831-4855-96F7-DD35E4C02A20&displaylang=en.

4- I have not been able to update anything for over a year.  It keeps telling me, Windows has some new installs for me but won't download properly.  Sorry I can't tell you the specific error it gives me, but I believe it has to do
    with a previous version as it is related to a Service Pack 2.  Sorry I know it's vague, but it takes for ever before I get the error message.  If you can't give me any idea, I'll try it again and post more info.

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. For you concern on XP Windows Update, you could post your thread on Windows XP forum to get more useful help. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:37 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Sunshine01,

Thank you for your post.

Referring to removal of any the versions of the .NET Framework on XP, it depends on the applications that are ran on your PC.

For applications, if you have some application based on any .NET Framework on your PC, you cannot remove it since you need it to support the application to run properly.

.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2. This means that .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be removed because they are the prerequisite of .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. If you have any application based on .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, please leave .NET 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on your machine.

The .NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and XML Web services. The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 3.5 uses CLR version 2.0 and so does .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0, while .NET framework 1.1 uses v1.1. They are separate products.

The answer is yes. You can downalod the language pack from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8489ED13-B831-4855-96F7-DD35E4C02A20&displaylang=en.

This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. For you concern on XP Windows Update, you could post your thread on Windows XP forum to get more useful help. This will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thank you for your understanding. 

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, February 10, 2010 3:37 AM
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 10:48 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

Im new to this net framework community and im not clear on your answer for having more than one version of Net Framework installed. I dont really know what its for. I do know however, that they take up a tremendous amount of space on my computer.
    I currrently have installed on my computer the following
    2.0 sp2
    3.0 sp2
    3.5 sp1
    Im not totally computer illiterate but im just not clear on what the net framework is for..

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated

anne

Monday, February 8, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for your post.

Let me explain it easier for you to understand .NET Framework.

.NET Framework is the foundation to run .NET related application.

For instance, if we have any application that need .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to run, we should not remove .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 because the application will not be run properly without .NET 2.0.

Moreover, for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, it includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 as prerequisite. This means, if we need .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 on our machine, we cannot remove .NET 2.0 SP2 and .NET 3.0 SP2.

If you're not quite sure which application is based on .NET Framework, you might leave these .NET Frameworks on your machine.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 3:07 AM
  • If older versions are that important, then why can't I download the below referenced update? For close to a month now Windows Update has been telling me I need to complete the download, but each attempt fails.

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB976569)

I have installed:

2.0 sp2 (last update KB983583 8/11/10)

3.0 sp2

3.5 sp1

4 Client Profile

4 Extended

Friday, September 3, 2010 10:43 PM
  • Hi Anne,

Thank you for your post.

Let me explain it easier for you to understand .NET Framework.

.NET Framework is the foundation to run .NET related application.

For instance, if we have any application that need .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to run, we should not remove .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 because the application will not be run properly without .NET 2.0.

Moreover, for .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, it includes .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 as prerequisite. This means, if we need .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 on our machine, we cannot remove .NET 2.0 SP2 and .NET 3.0 SP2.

If you're not quite sure which application is based on .NET Framework, you might leave these .NET Frameworks on your machine.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Many thanks to your description! Now I understand more about it.
    Monday, October 11, 2010 2:50 AM
  • Hi Sunshine01,

Thank you for your post.

Yichun Chen, How do I identify which applications depend on which .NET Framework versions?

Roy Sprunger
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hello, Roy.

To find which of your installed programs require which .NET Framework version, you will have to check the documentation of each program and contact the publishers of those programs if the documentation does not provide the answer.

There is a second way (which I DO NOT recommend under any circumstances). You can uninstall a .NET Framework, then see which of your installed programs stop working. There are many limitations and restrictions associated with this method, depending on your Windows version and the specific .NET Framework you have installed. If you insist on trying this, please post back with your Windows version and the .NET Framework version(s) you plan to try to remove, so the restrictions can be described in detail.

• Proposed as answer by Waltertoo Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:10 PM
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 3:46 PM