SSRS charts : two series on the same chart RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have very specific question about customizing charts using SSRS BIDS 2008.

Here is the problem: I have chart that shows series of different counted items per current and last 3 quarters. I need to add another bar to each series that would show average of count items for the same quarters. Essentially, I need to merge two different series on the same chart. I would prefer counts and average as bars on the chart and not as a running average line.

Is it possible to do it? How this can be achieved?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:47 PM

Answers

• Hello Eswararao,

Thank you for taking time to help me with this.

Before writing my question I spent sometime customizing with moving average for the chart to no avail. The problem is that in one instance of a series I have three bars that represents say counts for last quarter and three previous quarters. If I add moving average , then system generates three new bars in one instance of a series.

Anyway, I found workaround for my problem. I added average to my sql query and added it to the chart as another series but as a line chart. All three averages overlap giving impression that it is one line. 

Again, thanks for your suggestion

• Marked as answer by andrew_bb Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:25 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:24 PM

All replies

• We can add moving average to the existing report it is an in-built functionality of the SSRS. See if it can surface you requirement:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207034.aspx

By default it will add line chart then you can change the chart type to bar.

Regards,Eshwar.

Please don't forget to Marked as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful. It will helpful to other users.

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, February 14, 2013 6:06 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by andrew_bb Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:25 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:43 AM
  • Hello Eswararao,

Thank you for taking time to help me with this.

Before writing my question I spent sometime customizing with moving average for the chart to no avail. The problem is that in one instance of a series I have three bars that represents say counts for last quarter and three previous quarters. If I add moving average , then system generates three new bars in one instance of a series.

Anyway, I found workaround for my problem. I added average to my sql query and added it to the chart as another series but as a line chart. All three averages overlap giving impression that it is one line. 

Again, thanks for your suggestion

• Marked as answer by andrew_bb Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:25 PM
    Thursday, February 14, 2013 8:24 PM