Web Projects Support in Isolated Shell RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to use o Isolated Shell to provide web form designer, but I am stuck at it. I have been googling alot but could not make it work. Any Suggestions will be very helpful.

What I did was:

1. Create a simple Visual Studio Isolated Shell Application.

2. Add a VSIX project.

3. Using the VSIX Project Content, Add the Item and Project Template. The Item and Project Template I am using are from "\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\Web\CSharp\1033\" WebForm.zip and "\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\CSharp\Web\1033" EmptyWebApplicationProject40, WebApplicationProject20, WebApplicationProject40.

4. Add the VSIX Project as Item and Project Template to "ShellExtensionsVSIX" through source.extension.vsixmanifest Content.

I ran the application (Debug Mode) but i am not able to see the Project and Item Templates. Dont know what i am doing wrong. I have seen a lot of posts on same but could not make it happen. It will be appreciated if any one can mention the steps i am mising.

Another problem, when i am using the stand alone Isolated Shell, it is giving option for HTML Page. But on creating a htm page in Isoltaed Shell am not able to edit it. I have checked its not read only. There is no tool box nothing.

I am using Visual Studio 2010 SP1, with SP1 SDK, I have also installed the Moedeling and Visualizing SDK.

Thanks. 

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 9:52 AM

All replies

• 1) You should be creating your own templates and not copying Visual Studio's templates.

2) After installing templates you have to run "YourShellApp.exe /InstallVSTemplates" or "YourShellApp.exe /Setup"

Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:28 PM
  • 1. What If i want to use the templates given by VIsual Studio (ASPX). As the sole purpose of my application is to provide the web form designer.

2. When creating a basic Isolated Shell Aplication the template for HTM page is given by default. I created the HTM page (File->New->HTM Page), but i am not able to edit it. I have rechecked it is not readonly (Properties). It is not showing any tab, where as i expect to see Design and Code Tab just like in Visual Studio.

3. If I am able to add a ASPX page, how to add the Default ASPX ToolBox to it.

4. I tried creating a basic Isolated Shell Application, and run the /Setup and /InstallVsTemplates, went to registry, it showed me the location of Project and Item Templates in 1.0_Config Key under the Application Folder. I copied the full Item and Project Templates from Visual Studio folder to the Application folder, in other words tried to keep the same folder structure as in Visual Studio. Run the /Setup and /InstallVsTemplates again.Still no luck.

5. People are already commenting that they were able to use the web form designer and provide ASPX support in Isolated Shell, but i dont know how. I understand that It will be a simple one without C# or VB.Net support and no events can be generated automatically by double clicking the controls lik button. I have gone through storyBoard example and IronPython example but was not able to understand it.

6. The only purpose of the application is to proide the creation and editing of ASPX pages, and I am planning to provide AddIns to deploy it on the server. (Just copy paste and fill in the missing piece of code as needed by my application).

7. Creating a simple webapplication in visual studio and exporting it as a template. And using that exported template as a project template in VSIX Project/VSIX Extension, will it work? (It didnt work for me, both /setup /vsinstalltemplates tried). When adding the Project Template in VSIX Project from a file, it is always added as a content and cannot make it VsTemplate in Properties of the Actual file.

8. Adding a Project Template project in the solution and using it, didnt work for me.

You know what I am planning to do (Point 6), any step by step guide will be really appreciated or atleast list the steps that needs to be done. And what are the limitations of such solution.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 5:56 AM
  • It seems you want to create a VS based ASP project editor and it should contains all asp related features, includes toolbar. I don't think it is as easy as you think. Why not direct download and install Visual Web Developer express, http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-web-developer-express, it is free.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:26 AM
  • Thanks Cherubim Lee, is there a way to include the ASPX templates in Isolated Shell, I have read people were able to do it. I just dont know how they managed it. I know it will not be as easy as it looks like, but there has to be some way. Since I want to customize it (start up screens, logo, and hiding sertain options) I doubt that  Visual Web Developer Express will work for me.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Hi Sal,

The isolated shell doesn't include support for building C#, VB or C++ projects. These services/packages are only permitted to load in the integrated SKU. A WebApp project (like the one you are attempting to use) relies on the C# project system for resolving assembly references, compiling the actual dll, etc.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Thanks Ed Dore, 

I think i have given a wrong description of what I want to do. I just want a simple web form editor. I do not need any compiling or event autogenerate facilities. All I need is the support for ASPX page (design view, HTML code view) and the toolbox so that i can drag and drop controls. 

How hard this can be. 

Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Also I have said that the for the default HTML page, I am not able to edit it .. nor i am able to see the toolbox .. is this how it should be cause I remember in VS 2008 SDK the page was editable .. i dont remember about the toolbox. 
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Here is an example of the person who was able to provide the support, any help on how to make it possible .. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ar/vsx/thread/080acb55-21e4-4d80-b802-5cc7fb13d0f7

Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:42 PM
  • As per the post, by Ed Dore

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsx/thread/0ae1b40a-bdec-4fd4-b3db-94eab8566902

The webform and xaml designers are implemented as Visual Studio packages, and are dependent on many of the services the Visual Studio IDE implements. These designers can only be hosted within the visual studio IDE. They are also distributed/supported in the isolated shell. But they cannot be leveraged in other stand-alone applications.

My question is since webform designer is supported in Isolated Shell, how can I use it?

Friday, October 7, 2011 10:54 AM