none
Outlook Add-in - Fire event to get the attendees RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have been developing an Add-in for Outlook 2007 / 2010 / 2013 in C# & facing an issue with firing an event when ever an attendee is being added to an appointment item.

The actual requirement is to get the attendees & set the free busy url for their contacts, so that the free busy status will be shown for each attendees on the spot while adding. Steps are as follow:

1. Open/Create an appointmentItem

2. Shedule as meeting

3. Add attendees (Required / optional / resource)

4. Fire an event & get the attendees (this doesn't work properly) 

5. Set the FreeBusy url for the contact corresponding to the attendees,

6. See the freebusy intervals for the days on the right side grid parallel to each attendee

7. Save the appointmentItem

I tried with 'PropertyChange' event for the Item & tried to get the details, but this event is not firing all the time when I add/ change an attendee.(It fired when I move to schedule tab for the appointment or sometimes adding a first attendee, but not for all ) And that too when its firing, it fires multiple times ( of course for Required / optional attendees etc ).  I am able to set/ get the attendees from an appointment item through code, but the actual problem is firing a proper event when the user manually adds attendees. Is it possible to have a stable event to satisfy the requirement. This is really screwing me :) Expecting someone can help me out of this.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• I remember having this problem as well.  I can't remember exactly what I did, but I probably resorted to setting a flag when PropertyChange event fires to make sure my processing doesn't get repeated.  But that doesn't solve the problem of the event not firing.

All I can think of is using NameSpace.GetSelectNamesDialog for the user to select the attendees.  Then you'll at least have a singular event/method for when to process the selection.

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:55 PM
  • If you mean controlling which address list is available or is the default in the SelectNamesDialog, you can control that:

NameSpace.GetSelectNamesDialog Method (Outlook)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff867382.aspx

If you publish your free busy data to a custom location, you can use a password protected FTP site:

How to use the Internet Free/Busy feature in Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291621/en-us

About me...

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:32 PM

All replies

• I remember having this problem as well.  I can't remember exactly what I did, but I probably resorted to setting a flag when PropertyChange event fires to make sure my processing doesn't get repeated.  But that doesn't solve the problem of the event not firing.

All I can think of is using NameSpace.GetSelectNamesDialog for the user to select the attendees.  Then you'll at least have a singular event/method for when to process the selection.

About me...

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:55 PM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

But I doubt this option will be like blocking the user to add attendees who are available in the contacts list only right?

Or, Is there any work around like setting a common public url in settings somewhere with authentication(encrypted passwords) so that all the contacts will get set the free busy from this

Thanks

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:20 PM
  • If you mean controlling which address list is available or is the default in the SelectNamesDialog, you can control that:

NameSpace.GetSelectNamesDialog Method (Outlook)
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff867382.aspx

If you publish your free busy data to a custom location, you can use a password protected FTP site:

How to use the Internet Free/Busy feature in Outlook
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291621/en-us

About me...

Thursday, July 18, 2013 8:32 PM