none
Stupid Visual Studio Reports Question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sorry for the multiple posts, but I guess this should have been in this forum... 

I have been trying to find some good reference on how to set up reports for my application, but I have not had any luck finding anything helpful.  I have never really done reports, so I really don't know what I am doing.  I am using a Microsoft Access Database, so I would like to pull the data from this database for the various reports, which might be multiple pages...  Does anyone know of any good references, tutorials, or articles that might help me out in putting together and implementing my first reports?  Any help and information is greatly appreciated.

Also,
    I would like to use reports that don't require any additional software on the machine like I understand Crystal Reports does...  I don't know what the other options are like.  It appears VS has a Reports System built into the .Net Framework, but I don't know how good it is, or how to use it...  I have found some articles online, but nothing that really took me through the steps or explained it to me in a way that I understood...

Thanks Again,

Friday, December 28, 2007 7:53 PM

Answers

• Ah, the real beauty of the ReportViewer control is that it does NOT require ReportingServices. While a RV control can launch a RS report from the server, it can also be used to launch and process .RDLc reports locally--without any reference or need for a RS server. Yes, when deploying an application that uses the RV control, it requires an additional (one-time) control install setup step but this is FAR less burden than the Crystal approach.

hth

See www.betav.com

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:46 PM

All replies

•  

Hello Smile

The environment you are using isnt stupid, its quite powerful Smile

The .net framework dosn't really have a reporting utility built into it as such.  Visual Studio comes with the crystal reporting suite as you pointed out which is intended for use on Windows Based applications that do not have access to or need access to Reporting Services.

Which neatly brings me to my next subject, Reporting Services.

This is a service provided by Microsoft SQL Server that provides a web based reporting interface which is extreamly powerful, obviously, like other development tools, there are some annoyances, but nothing enough to call it stupidSmile

Your best resources would be the MSDN site you are now on by going to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170246.aspx which lists a number of tutorials.

If your not using Reporting Services then your option is Crystal Reports for which you can find tutorials here http://www.developers.net/businessobjectsshowcase/view/1786.

You can also find lots of resources using the help system from within visual studio or looking through the demo projects provided with the visual studio install.

Kindest Regards

Scott

Friday, December 28, 2007 8:07 PM
  • Hello and thank you very much for your response.  I will definitely take a look at those links and see if they can help me put together a report.

To clarify though, I wasn't calling Visual Studio "stupid", I was calling my question "stupid", as it is a very basic and in my opinion a silly question.  So much so that I was embarrased to ask it.  But I simply could not find a way to generate reports from within my application.  I don't know if I should be using dataBinding, or how I would even pull the data from the database.  I literally have NO idea what I am doing and have found very little that was able to point me in the right direction.  As far as a Visual Studio Report Control, I thought that was what the ReportViewer was for.  I guess it isn't?  I am just very confused...

Thanks Again,
    Friday, December 28, 2007 8:30 PM
  • Ah, the real beauty of the ReportViewer control is that it does NOT require ReportingServices. While a RV control can launch a RS report from the server, it can also be used to launch and process .RDLc reports locally--without any reference or need for a RS server. Yes, when deploying an application that uses the RV control, it requires an additional (one-time) control install setup step but this is FAR less burden than the Crystal approach.

hth

See www.betav.com

Saturday, December 29, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Thank you both very much for your responses.  I am still very confused, so I bought a book that covers reports in Visual Studio (And hopefully explains things in a way that a complete noob such as myself can follow.  I hope it's step by step...  lol).  I will post a new thread if I have any problems, but hopefully I won't have to.

Thanks Again,

Monday, January 7, 2008 7:31 PM