Why is Windows Store Apps's (Modern/Metro UI) development not supported on Window 7?

Question

• VS2012, itself is based on Metro UI then why is Windows Store Apps's (Modern/Metro UI) development not supported on Window 7?
    Sunday, August 11, 2013 10:56 PM

Answers

• Windows Store apps depend on the Windows Runtime (which is new to Windows 8).

Windows Store apps do not require the .Net Framework. They can be written in JavaScript or in C++/Cx as well as in .Net languages.

--Rob

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• Visual Studio is a desktop app. Its shell is not based on the Windows Runtime. It uses WinRT only when developing Windows Store apps.

It would not be possible to test or design Windows Store apps on a system which cannot run them without building an emulator.

--Rob

Sunday, August 11, 2013 11:57 PM
  • Rob, thanks for the reply.. But, don't you think the prerequisites that you are mentioning can be handled easily by Microsoft i.e. by providing a service pack..
    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:08 AM
  • winrt is part of the core of windows it is more than just a service pack
    • Proposed as answer by Horizon_Net Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:53 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Robby Ames Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:30 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 1:10 AM
    Ken, Thanks! for the reply. Please elaborate little more. As I know, service packs are provided to enhance the functionality of core.
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:30 PM
  • Service Packs are generally bug fix rollups rather than major features. The Windows Runtime is a major new feature for Windows 8.

--Rob

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:01 PM
  • Rob, are you pointing out that the Windows Store Apps development is equally dependent on the Windows 8's core and the .NET Framework??
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:09 PM
  • Windows Store apps depend on the Windows Runtime (which is new to Windows 8).

Windows Store apps do not require the .Net Framework. They can be written in JavaScript or in C++/Cx as well as in .Net languages.

--Rob

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Thanks! Rob, though I get my answer(and marking your answer as final answer), but it would be more helpful if you suggest me a book or provide a link to read further about Windows Store apps working with OS/running environment.
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:15 AM
  • Rob, I just checked the time you replied, it is showing you replied after 11 minutes. But I eyed on this thread for two days. I hadn't seen your reply. Might be a cache issue..

• Edited by Robby Ames Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:32 AM
    Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:28 AM
  • I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I'd start with Meet Windows Store apps (behind the "Get Started" link at the top of the page) and the videos from the last three //build conferences (especially 2011 for Windows 8 and 2013 for Windows 8.1).

There are a number of books on writing apps. I don't know how far any of them go into internals. The //build sessions are probably best for those.

--Rob

Saturday, August 17, 2013 12:37 AM
  • Rob, I was looking for "Why is Windows Store apps' development not supported on Windows 7?" But now I'm curious about the Windows Store apps execution and their interaction with Windows Runtime. How they get executed.. e.g. source code converted to IL which is handled by .NET F/W. I just googled and there are lots of link about Windows Runtime. So now studying them. If it requires, I'll start a new thread. Thanks again for your concerned replies.

Saturday, August 17, 2013 1:39 AM