none
What Extensibility Points are there in EF5? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

II am reviewing EF5 for its capabilities of extending data model at runtime if there is any possibility to reach this result please provide your comments or thoughts on how can I achive this. I am working on a planing section of one of my upcoming project where with EF5 I have to extend my data model at runtime where users can add few refferencive fields. Is it possible with EF5? If yes how and if not what other data access technology will be suiteble for this requirement.

Thanking you,

Nilkanth S. Desai

Friday, August 10, 2012 5:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Nikanth,

Welcome to MSDN Forum.

I'm afraid we couldn't add the data models at runtime in Entity Framework, everytime we modified the model, we have to recompile the application. Please look at this similar link, @Ladislva explains very clearly. : )

Best Regards

Allen Li [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, August 13, 2012 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

The purpose of EF is to expose your data as a strongly type model so usually you expose the base strongly type model and you expose user defined data (keeping them limited) in a more general way (for example as a list of property/value pairs) so that users can slightly enrich the model without any actual db underlying structure change. Your app will also have to be able to deal with those "property bags".

Please always mark whatever response solved your issue so that the thread is properly marked as "Answered".

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 1:14 PM