SQL server with Live Communications Server RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello.

I am doing a proof of concept and part of the solution is to configure Common Live Server. However, I am running into problems and do not have that much experience in SQL Server 2005.

I have downloaded and installed the trial version and it seems to be running. I run the configuration manager and see the instance running. When I continue to configure my Live Communications Server - Creating an Enterprise Edition pool, it prompts me for the pool name, FQDN and Instance. I fill these fields in and it fails immediately. I think that I have not completely installed and configured SQL 05. Problem is, I don't know how to connect to the database as well. I found an sqlservr.exe in the MSSQL/Binn directory, but when I run that it pops up with a dialog saying that my installation may be corrupt. I have re-installed the thing again - but same thing happens.

Any clues/tips on how I should approach debugging this even resolving the problem.

Thankyou

Saturday, August 5, 2006 4:46 PM

Answers

• This really sounds like a question for the Live Communication Server folks, but here is something to at least determine if SQL is installed correctly and running:

1. Open a command prompt.
    2. Type: SQLCmd -S .\SQLEXPRESS -E -Q "select @@version"

This should return the version and build of SQL Express. It assumes that you've done a default installation of SQL Express. If you did not install to the default Named Instance, or you didn't install SQL Express, you'll need to change the instance name appropriately. If you did not install using Windows Authentication, you'll need to provide the user name (-U) and password (-P) for a valid acocunt rather than using -E.

If this works, you have likely installed SQL Server correctly and it's running. If it fails, you should check to see if the service is running using SQL Server Configuration Manager.

Mike

Tuesday, August 8, 2006 9:41 PM