none
VS 2010 on Win8 and VSTO for Word RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

So I'm trying to test/debug my Word AddIn on WIndows 8 and I'm getting the following error message:

"A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot be started directly.  ..."

This VS AddIn Project works perfectly fine on Windows 7.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 9:13 PM

Answers

• first, make sure that startup project is the one that hosts your add-in, not some secondary project.

Then make sure this is not a general issue with misconfiguration or wrong installation of visual studio - make on win8 new addin project that does nothing and try to debug it.

• Marked as answer by Test Wordrake Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:03 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Test Wordrake,

What's the project type of your project? It seems that it's an Class Library project. For this kind of project, you'll need to "build" rather than "compile".

HTH.

Regards,
    Fermin

Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:47 AM
  • first, make sure that startup project is the one that hosts your add-in, not some secondary project.

Then make sure this is not a general issue with misconfiguration or wrong installation of visual studio - make on win8 new addin project that does nothing and try to debug it.

Thursday, November 1, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Thanks for the replies - following is additional info:

This is a "released" addin that is already working in MSWord on Win7.  I copied the exact project folder from Win7 to Win8 expecting things to work, and incurred this error on Win8.  So the Project is a VSTO AddIn project, which is a Class Library project.

The Solution does contain multiple projects, I've reset the main project as the Startup Project.  The BUILD operation does install the AddIn in MSWord correctly on Win8, it appears that the Start Debugging operation is messing up generating the above error.

Resetting the Startup Project seems to have cured the problem.

Thanks

• Unmarked as answer by Test Wordrake Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:03 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:03 PM