Sprint Backlog sorting wierdness RRS feed

• Question

• Our Sprint Backlogs are sorting very, very strangely - has a change been made recently that affected that?  It is doing something with respect to ID and Backlog Priority, but that doesn't fully explain it.  We have items with a backlog priority of 4 appearing before PBIs that have 1

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 5:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Bryan,

I test the issue in my side. In Product Backlog, PBIs are sort with parent PBI's priority, parent PBI list there. But, in iteration backlog, PBIs are sort with parent PBI's priority, just list the last child PBI in the list. I think it is as same as yours. You can submit a feedback to Microsoft Connect site http://connect.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

Thank you for your post.

Would you please let s know what changed you do recently?

Can you show us the screenshot of the issue?

I test the issue in my side. I drap up a PBI with a larger backlog priority, refresh the web page, backlog priority will order from small to large.

If anything is unclear, please free feel to let me know.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, November 15, 2012 2:47 AM
  • We figured out why it was sorting the way it was sorting - not sure that I like it, but it is what it is I guess.  When you have nested PBIs like we have - we have EPIC PBIs that have smaller PBIs as child PBIs the priority of the parent PBI is used to sort the Sprint Backlog even when the parent PBI (what we call EPICs) is not in the Sprint.  This makes for a completely non-obvious sorting mechanism that is very, very confusing.  I am sure it is a difficult scenario to get right, but right now how it is working causes some significant issues since it is a sorting in a non-obvious way.  You could even say in a misleading way since it has the sorting arrows on Backlog Priority and ID but that wasn't how it was sorting.
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 3:51 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

I test the issue in my side. In Product Backlog, PBIs are sort with parent PBI's priority, parent PBI list there. But, in iteration backlog, PBIs are sort with parent PBI's priority, just list the last child PBI in the list. I think it is as same as yours. You can submit a feedback to Microsoft Connect site http://connect.microsoft.com/

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Friday, November 16, 2012 8:39 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

Since we haven't heard from you for a long time. I mark useful reply as answer. It will be very beneficial for other community members having the similar questions.  

If you have any concerns, please feel free to reopen it or submit a new question. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Lily Wu [MSFT]

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:23 AM