none
Can't get F1 to open offline help viewer

Question

• I am using VS 2010. I had set it up to use offline help and the F1 key would start the agent and open the help viewer application. After a crash I had to reinstall VS 2010. However, when I hit F1 now it opens a browser page for the help. If I go to Help | Manage Help Settings I get an error about command line parameters. If I run Manage Help Settings from the VS Programs shortcut it opens and looks correct. Help!

Doug Miller

Thursday, April 28, 2016 3:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Doug Miller,

Thanks for you post.

>>After a crash I had to reinstall VS 2010. However, when I hit F1 now it opens a browser page for the help

VS opens a browser page for help by default. But we can aslo set as "I want to use local help" in Manager Help Settings. Then VS will open the local help view application.

>>If I go to Help | Manage Help Settings I get an error about command line parameters

How about running your VS2010 in Safe mode to Check whether some add-ins and extensions affect it (devenv /safemode)

If still no help. I suppose something is with your VS2010, try to repair it or install the latest update VS2010 SP1 in the following site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=23691

Since you can open with open it with shortcut, please set as use local help then you can workaround your problem now.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, April 29, 2016 6:18 AM