Windows Server 2008 Installation RRS feed

• Question

• I hope this is the right forum for this question:

I have a Dell 600SC Poweredge server, 2.4 Ghz, one SCSI controller card with two SCSI hard drives (79 g and 40 g), 4g memory.  I have Windows Server 2003 installed.  I have backed up my system.    I have attempted to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 but Windows Server 2008 installation disks states that Front Page extensions are installed and must be removed.  I then when to Windows Components and removed Front Page extensions.  I rebooted my computer and attempted to upgrade again.  Still, Windows Server 2008 installation will not let me upgrade stating Front Page extensions are installed.  I then decided to just do a clean install.  Of course it took forever to install.  After install I wanted to install Office.  Now my DVD drive is not reading the disks.  I attempted to install Dell drivers but since I cannot read from the DVD drive I am unable to do this.  I then decided to start from scratch by formating the boot drive and re-installing the Dell drivers with the Dell Server installation disk.  Since this installation disk will only let me install Windows 2000, I installed it and then upgraded to Windows Server 2003.  Restored from backup.  Everything works good, including the DVD drive.  I removed Front Page extensions and attempted to upgrade to Windows Server 2008 and yet again it would not let me upgrade because it believes that Front Page extensions are installed.

Can someone give me some guidance on how I can upgrade to Windows Server 2008 from Windows Server 2003 and still have my DVD drive working?

Thanks in advance.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 12:46 PM

Answers

• Ok Andrew...thank you much for your response.

I will mark as answered here and post in the recommended forum.

thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by trex3648 Monday, February 8, 2010 5:22 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 5:22 PM

All replies

• This forum is for questions related to the Server Core installation option of Windows Server. You should try the Windows Server general forum on TechNet at: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/threads

Andrew
    • Marked as answer by trex3648 Monday, February 8, 2010 5:20 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by trex3648 Monday, February 8, 2010 5:21 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Ok Andrew...thank you much for your response.

I will mark as answered here and post in the recommended forum.

thanks again.
    • Marked as answer by trex3648 Monday, February 8, 2010 5:22 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 5:22 PM