PresentationHost.exe (XBAP) throw error: C Run-Time Error R6034 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

we are hosting one of our WPF (.NET 3.5 SP1) components within XBAP and thus it delivered through browser (explorer 8.0) to client.
    Some time clients (running explorer) receive error and this error thrown by presentetionhost.exe. The error is: C Run-Time Error R6034.
    We looked the error in forums and it appears related to manifest. But manifest exists for that WPF/XBAP application. Furthermore, the error does not occurs always only sometime and it not consistent it cannot be recreated on same machine for same scenario.
    Cleaning online app cache with mage.exe -cc does not resolve issue it continue to appear occasionally.

Some comment:
    1. Sometime application continues working after error box closed, but sometime it crushes.
    2. May be it is not relevant but, the application accessing server side with WCF, but no error in this area.
    3. I read another thread of this forum: Deploying WPF app - runtime error R6034 (social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/?en-US/wpf/thread/233fee41-6cf9-40cd?-bf39-66ddade11746)
     and there the sxstrace tool in use, which in my case is not possible due XP OS.

Does someone have ideas how to get rid of the error?

Thanks, Pavel

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 3:26 PM

Answers

• Dear All,

I think we were able to manage the issue with Microsoft support team. We have a Microsoft Partner subscription, so after this thread did not bring help, we official submit support call to Microsoft. The process took a while, and indeed Microsoft confirmed that the issue is on their side. As the first attempt they provide modified dll which suppose to fix the problem. Unfortunately this dll did not help; furthermore we were not able to run our XBAP application steady, so we give up with the dll. The next step was to convert the whole XBAP application to .NET 4.0 and this appears resolved the issue. Actually we did not converted the whole WPF application, it remained as .NET 3.5, we only converted the hosting application, the XBAP project itself.

I guess this case can be closed, at least for us.

Thank you all for you help.

Pavel

• Marked as answer by Talya Klain Friday, April 29, 2011 9:59 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:59 AM

All replies

• You cannot repro it which make the issue hard to track. You would need to prepare a dump file when error occurs. Hold that file in your skydrive and wait for ms guy to download. 
    Experience
    Friday, October 1, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Hi pavelre2,

According to the thread you linked, it is an issue of the .Net framework, not the OS. So I think you could try to re-install the .Net framework follow the steps on the linked thread, and try to install the HotFixes for the .Net framework. Run the Verification Tool ( http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8999004.aspx ) on the failing systems and check the installed .Net framework.

By the way, could you please check if the machine installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (or SP1), please try to install them:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B2DA534-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86): http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=A5C84275-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2

Myexp's indea is correct, you could try to get a dump file of the PresentationHost.exe, and share it. We can help you to debug and try to find out the cause. Please refer to this article about how to get the dump file: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241215

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao

MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum 

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Are you looking for a typical code sample? Please download all in one code framework !
    Friday, October 1, 2010 7:40 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I did what you suggested and here are the results:

·         I install and run verification tool - in the results in seems OK, anyway the result you can see in this link. http://cid-ba76659b78fff13f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Dump/setupverifier.rar

·         I uninstall all the Redistributable Package of Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and 2005. I run system without them and it worked, mean presentationhost.exe loaded and our XBAP worked, but the error continue to appear occasionally, so i am not sure how they are connected to the issue if system works without them being installed. Anyway i installed them again with latest versions with SP1, and it seems did not resolve the issue.

·         Regarding user dump: I installed the user dump application and run it to listen for presentationhost.exe exceptions. When I run our XBAP application, user dump started to dump immediately the XBAP is loaded in memory even without the C library error occurs. Unfortunately after short time with 5-10 seconds of the dump process my laptop crushes with blue screen. I tried again and it crushes again. Anyway attached are the dumps it succeeded to save, I do not know if they are valid and not broken. http://cid-ba76659b78fff13f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Dump/PresentationHost5252.rar and http://cid-ba76659b78fff13f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Documents/Dump/PresentationHost6396.rar. Anyway I am going to set the dump on another machine and see where it brings us.

·         I tried the user dump to work with hot key, but it did not start the dump when I press the hot key, in my case it was 0. Is it should be some combination?

Pavel

Monday, October 4, 2010 2:09 PM
  • FYI, I've seen errors in WPF that are thrown and look really bad, but surprizingly the program will still run after clicking OK, haven't had the time to investigate those yet. 

I think as Bob metioned, user dump is only way.  Someone has to get to the stack trace to find root cause, without that....It's pretty much a guessing game because most likely it's happening at LOAD time.  If it's within the application itself the only other alternative you have is to put in Flight-Recording that dumps all exceptions to logs and shows program paths being executed.

Javaman
    Monday, October 4, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hi Javaman,

We are a vendor provider, and system goes to production, so we are talking about real customers and I cannot effort they will get this error, even this does not cause issues. This error frightens customer and they call support immediately.  So we have to find a way to prevent it.

Indeed the error does not cause much trouble but in some cases it get into series of 10 or even 20 same error pop ups and this quite bother. Also the error is just pop ups from the presentation host process but the process is not terminated after you click OK button.

I am not sure this is totally in the load of presentation host because sometimes the XBAP is loading, mean main page, but only when I drill into one of the layers the error occurs.

If dump does not help how can I capture trace of it? Is there any way to prevent the error to be displayed? In different forums which describe the error (R6034) it mentioned that it somehow related to manifest? How this can be connected, and why this happen only occasionally? I have some thought that many be it related somehow to different threads that the XBAP application may execute?

Thanks, Pavel

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:38 AM
  • Hi Pavel,

Thank you for your reply!

I have checked the dump files, they may not the correct dump for this error. They have some exceptions, but nthey may some internal handled exceptions. So if it is possible, you could try to use windbg to break the application at the error point, to check the call stack.

According to the error message "C Run-Time Error R6034" it is a manifest problem: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235560(VS.90).aspx "An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library without using a manifest. ..." I want to know if you used some C/C++ components, and the components do not have the manifest. If the component is published by yourself, could you please try to add the manifest for it; otherwise, I think you could contact the developer of the component and check if it has the manifest. If it is possible, share the manifest content here may help us to find the cause. Please read below article to troubleshoot this issue: Troubleshooting C/C++ Isolated Applications and Side-by-side Assemblies

After reading some related threads, it may occur by the hotfixed the OS installed. So another troubleshooting method is to uninstall/reinstall the hotfixes on the target machine,  or compare the installed hotfixes between the develop machine and test machine.

Anyupdate, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
    Bob Bao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Are you looking for a typical code sample? Please download all in one code framework !
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi ,

We had to handle other issues and now we are back on this bug again.

I have a few more details about the bug:

1. The error usualy happens the second time the xbap is loaded on the same browser instance( although we have seen this bug on one computer on th first try). when it starts a new process of PresentationHost  is created and destroyed when navigating to another page(non xbap, this is the common scenario for the bug)
    2. when I ran the xbap  from visual studio (same PresentationHost process all the time) the bug did not happen
    3. I attached PresentationHost to debbuger when the error occurred and this is the call stack from a secondary thread:

[Managed to Native Transition] 
    > PresentationCore.dll!<Module>.MS.Internal.TtfDelta.Mem_Alloc(uint size) + 0x25 bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.TrueTypeRasterizer.NewFont(System.IO.UnmanagedMemoryStream fontFileStream, System.Uri sourceUri, int faceIndex) + 0x1e0 bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.FontCache.GlyphBitmapElement.AddGlyph(ushort glyphIndex = 43) + 0x88 bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.GetGlyphs(MS.Internal.FontCache.BaseGlyphElement element = {MS.Internal.FontCache.GlyphBitmapElement}, System.Collections.Generic.IList<ushort> glyphIndices = {MS.Internal.PartialList<ushort>}, void*[] glyphsArray = {void*[6]}) + 0x2fb bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.GetBitmaps(string fontFileName, int faceIndex, int scaleX, int scaleY, ushort pointSize, ushort renderingMode, ushort renderingFlags, int glyphCount, ushort[] glyphIndices, void*[] glyphBitmaps) + 0xd7 bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.CreateGlyphBitmapsHelper(System.IntPtr nativeGlyphCache = 30296744, MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.FontFaceID faceId = {MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.FontFaceID}, ushort[] glyphIndices = {ushort[6]}, uint faceHandle = 0) + 0x82 bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.CreateGlyphsAtRenderTime(System.IntPtr nativeObject, System.IntPtr request, ushort isGeometryRequest) + 0xa0 bytes 
      PresentationCore.dll!MS.Internal.FontCache.FontCacheAccessor.CreateGlyphsCallback(System.IntPtr nativeObject, System.IntPtr request, ushort isGeometryRequest) + 0x42 bytes 
      [Appdomain Transition] 
      [Native to Managed Transition] 

It appears the problem is with the fonts cache. after pressing ok many times on the error box it somtimes displays the screen with shapes but no text at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Pavel!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Sounds like you've zeroed in on the problem, the client doesn't have the font being used?
    Javaman
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Hi Javaman,

No the fonts are common fonts which are installed on the client. moreover, the same xbap application is loading and operating ok sometimes.

Pavel

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 6:37 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

Let us back to check the issue.

TrueTypeRasterizer class is the .Net 3.5 internal class, and in the method, there are two places to call the MS.Internal.TtfDelta.Mem_Alloc, which is call the native method calloc() to allocate memory. And I referct the Mem_Alloc method:

[SecurityCritical, SecurityTreatAsSafe, SecurityPermission(SecurityAction.Assert, UnmanagedCode=true)]
    internal static unsafe void* MS.Internal.TtfDelta.Mem_Alloc(uint size)
    {
     return calloc(1, size);
    } 

[DllImport("MSVCR80.dll", CallingConvention=CallingConvention.Cdecl, SetLastError=true)]
    public static extern unsafe void* modopt(CallConvCdecl) calloc(uint, uint);

It imports the "MSVCR80.dll" CRT (Visual Studio 2005 Visual C++ Runtime). Since it is an unsafed invocation and it is wrapped as an internal method. We can not debug and check the return error code.

However, is this XBAP coded with multi-thread? Whatever it create the glyph information cross threads and we do not lock the resources. On the other hand, could you please try to check if the Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 windows service is stopped. Please start it and reboot the machine, then test it again. Also a helpfull article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937135

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft

Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:32 AM
  • :)

Javaman
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Hi Bob,

1. The Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 is always running.
    2. I did not see the problem was with multithreading. it happens when WPF tries to write the text for every element. As I said in previous post, after pressing ok a lot of times I can see the screen with graphics and no text. if I move my mouse around I get the exception again, probably this when a tooltip should appear. so this eliminates the multithread option

It looks like a lock is not released somewhere.

Thanks,

Pavel

Sunday, January 16, 2011 10:00 PM
  • Hi Pavel,

What is the version of your Visual Studio (VS 30620.00)? I think it is an issue that is released in the VS 30620 or later. Could you please try to install the latest hotfix for Visual Studio 2008 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1. If it still cannot help you, you can submit this issue to Microsoft Connect feedback portal http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously, thanks. If this issue is urgent, please contact support at http://support.microsoft.com.

Sincerely,

Bob Bao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft

Monday, January 17, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Bob,

The visual studio version did not solve this issue, it also happens on deployment machines with no development environment. I've downloaded PDB files from microsoft source code, and I now have more details where this problem occurs. As we seen before it is related to glyphs drawing. Here is the call stack where the error happens:

wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CMilSlaveGlyphCache::EnsureGlyphBitmapsArePresent()  + 0x32ae bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CGlyphRunResource::CreateRealization()  + 0x135 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CGlyphRunResource::GetAvailableScale()  + 0x10c3 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CBaseGlyphRunPainter::Init()  + 0x179 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CD3DGlyphRunPainter::Paint()  + 0xa9 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CHwSurfaceRenderTarget::DrawGlyphs()  + 0x132 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CHwDisplayRenderTarget::DrawGlyphs()  + 0x1c bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CMetaRenderTarget::DrawGlyphs()  + 0xae bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CDrawingContext::DrawGlyphRun()  + 0x14b bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CMilSlaveRenderData::Draw()  + 0x9a bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CMilVisual::RenderContent()  - 0xb bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CDrawingContext::PreSubgraph()  + 0x12f bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CGraphIterator::Walk()  + 0x36 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CDrawingContext::DrawVisualTree()  + 0x132 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CDrawingContext::Render()  + 0x215d8 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CSlaveHWndRenderTarget::Render()  + 0x164 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CRenderTargetManager::Render()  + 0x49b8 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CComposition::Render()  + 0x21 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CComposition::ProcessComposition()  + 0xa0 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CComposition::Compose()  + 0x42 bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CPartitionThread::RenderPartition()  + 0x1c bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CPartitionThread::Run()  + 0x2d bytes 
      wpfgfx_v0300.dll!CPartitionThread::ThreadMain()  + 0x1e bytes 

I'll also try to address Microsoft conect.

Thanks,

Pavel

Monday, February 7, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Hi Bob,

I've submitted the bug to microsoft connect as you suggested, you can review it here - https://connect.microsoft.com/WPF/feedback/details/641667/presentationhost-exe-xbap-throw-error-c-run-time-error-r6034

But I've got no answer or response, what should we do?

Thanks,

Pavel

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

It seems when follow this suggestion http://www.keysolutions.com/blogs/kenyee.nsf/d6plinks/kkye-7c8nm8 the error itself disappeared, but still application loads without fonts being drawn on the XBAP application.

Thanks, Pavel

Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:23 PM
  •  

Hi,

I have uploaded to sky drive 3 screenshots to illustrate the problem. First screenshot presents the XBAP application (called Hall Designer) loaded OK, the second one presents the Hall Designer loaded with error R6034, and the third one presents the Hall Designer loaded without the error (due previous post suggestion) but without text labels being drawn.

The screenshots can be downloaded here: http://cid-38db07aae2d65910.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/R6034^_SCREENS.rar

Few words regarding Hall Designer tool and SRO4 product:

·          SRO is one of the leading products in ticketing industry, and SRO4 is next generation of SRO.

·          You can read little about it in our web site. http://www.toptix-ticketing.com/

·          Hall Designer is tool which is part of SRO4 product suite.

·          Hall Designer tool intended to help organization to create their hall map with all relevant structure and layout of areas, sectors, rows and seats.

·          The hall map then is used in sale process and help customers to select seats to shows the tickets they want to buy.

·          Hall Designer developed in WPF 3.5 and then delivered as XBAP application through web. MS Explorer hosts it within presentationhost.exe.

Thanks,

Pavel

Sunday, February 20, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Hi All!
    We have a huge corporate site that is running several complex ActiveX controls. Not long ago we decided to bring it up to date with modern technologies and generally to make it more user-friendly. As a result we completely migrated from ActiveX to XBAP controls. And now we faced with the same issue as described in this thread. 
    Unfortunately we were unable to resolve it but we did a research on it and obtained the results that we would like to share with you. Hope this will help to resolve the problem.
    First of all, we have a tiny XBAP application that allows constantly reproducing runtime error and following blank text labels issue. We are ready to share the binaries, sources and necessary instructions - just let us know. Application is crated in VS2008 using .NET 3.5 and is hosted in iframe. Using it we were able to see the problem on different machines running different operating systems (including Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 Professional)
    Using this application we have got ProcessMonitor logs (we also ready to share it with you). Logs allow us to understand why runtime error is coming and why user is presented with control that has blank area instead of any text item. But unfortunately it is hard for us to identify the roots of this problem as it happens inside PresentationHost on attempt to render control.
    Following are two ProcessMonitor logs. First log shows PresentationHost behaviour when everything is working properly (no runtime errors, no blank controls). Note that after PresentationHost read font file it tries to load MSVCR80.dll from Side-By-Side assemblies storage using corresponding manifest file:
    11:48:43.5351989 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIMTF.dll SUCCESS CreationTime: 2/18/2007 8:00:00 AM, LastAccessTime: 4/28/2011 11:48:39 AM, LastWriteTime: 2/18/2007 8:00:00 AM, ChangeTime: 6/2/2010 7:33:09 AM, AllocationSize: 163,840, EndOfFile: 162,816, FileAttributes: A
    11:48:43.5355135 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFile C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIMTF.dll SUCCESS Desired Access: Execute/Traverse, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Delete, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    11:48:43.5360412 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFileMapping C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIMTF.dll SUCCESS SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection, PageProtection: PAGE_EXECUTE
    11:48:43.5360747 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIMTF.dll SUCCESS AllocationSize: 163,840, EndOfFile: 162,816, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    11:48:43.5361345 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CloseFile C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSIMTF.dll SUCCESS
    11:48:44.3102547 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    11:48:44.3104709 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS AllocationSize: 385,024, EndOfFile: 383,804, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    11:48:44.3104988 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFileMapping C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection, PageProtection: PAGE_READONLY
    11:48:44.3105069 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS AllocationSize: 385,024, EndOfFile: 383,804, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    11:48:44.3105220 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFileMapping C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS SyncType: SyncTypeOther
    11:48:44.3105458 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CloseFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS
    11:48:44.3109997 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:48:44.3112654 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:48:44.3113537 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 RegOpenKey HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide\AssemblyStorageRoots NAME NOT FOUND
    11:48:44.3115395 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\PresentationHost.exe.Local NAME NOT FOUND
    11:48:44.3117286 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.5592_x-ww_179798C8 SUCCESS CreationTime: 4/27/2011 1:54:54 PM, LastAccessTime: 4/28/2011 11:47:36 AM, LastWriteTime: 4/27/2011 1:54:54 PM, ChangeTime: 4/27/2011 1:54:54 PM, AllocationSize: 0, EndOfFile: 0, FileAttributes: D
    11:48:44.3118912 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFile C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.5592_x-ww_179798C8 SUCCESS Desired Access: Execute/Traverse, Synchronize, Disposition: Open, Options: Directory, Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, Write, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    11:48:44.3121901 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 ReadFile C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\PresentationCore\46c57d845e55232a89e98101075cd455\PresentationCore.ni.dll SUCCESS Offset: 6,646,272, Length: 16,384, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O
    11:48:44.3304843 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 ReadFile C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v2.0.50727_32\WindowsBase\76e431fde1b252312b331f7108259fda\WindowsBase.ni.dll SUCCESS Offset: 2,058,752, Length: 32,768, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O
    11:48:44.3543147 AM PresentationHost.exe 3740 CreateFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    This is another log that shows PresentationHost behavior that is resulted in blank text items and/or runtime error messages:
    11:59:47.8831630 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 CreateFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    11:59:47.8832482 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS AllocationSize: 385,024, EndOfFile: 383,804, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    11:59:47.8832795 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 CreateFileMapping C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS SyncType: SyncTypeCreateSection, PageProtection: PAGE_READONLY
    11:59:47.8832895 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryStandardInformationFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS AllocationSize: 385,024, EndOfFile: 383,804, NumberOfLinks: 1, DeletePending: False, Directory: False
    11:59:47.8833091 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 CreateFileMapping C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS SyncType: SyncTypeOther
    11:59:47.8833401 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 CloseFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS
    11:59:47.8838734 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8842229 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_32\PresentationCore\3.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8846257 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8849425 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8852373 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8854552 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8857524 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8859276 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8862204 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8864528 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8868118 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8872199 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\binn\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8876138 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\DTS\Binn\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8879586 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8884933 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8888408 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8913073 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86)\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8917378 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 QueryOpen C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\MSVCR80.dll NAME NOT FOUND
    11:59:47.8927776 AM PresentationHost.exe 1524 CreateFile C:\WINDOWS\Fonts\tahoma.ttf SUCCESS Desired Access: Generic Read, Disposition: Open, Options: Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File, Attributes: n/a, ShareMode: Read, AllocationSize: n/a, OpenResult: Opened
    Note that after font is loaded PresentationHost is trying to load MSVCR80.dll directly (without using corresponding manifest) i.e. first it search for it in a local folder (which is system32 where PresentationHost is located), then it starts iterating through the folders from system path and if MSVCR80.dll is found in any of those folders – user will be presented with R6034 runtime error popup. If dll was not found then corresponding text item will remain non-rendered. Can somebody provide a clear explanation why this is happening and give us any ideas how to avoid it?

• Proposed as answer by Pavel Rephiah Friday, April 29, 2011 9:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Pavel Rephiah Friday, April 29, 2011 9:49 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Dear All,

I think we were able to manage the issue with Microsoft support team. We have a Microsoft Partner subscription, so after this thread did not bring help, we official submit support call to Microsoft. The process took a while, and indeed Microsoft confirmed that the issue is on their side. As the first attempt they provide modified dll which suppose to fix the problem. Unfortunately this dll did not help; furthermore we were not able to run our XBAP application steady, so we give up with the dll. The next step was to convert the whole XBAP application to .NET 4.0 and this appears resolved the issue. Actually we did not converted the whole WPF application, it remained as .NET 3.5, we only converted the hosting application, the XBAP project itself.

I guess this case can be closed, at least for us.

Thank you all for you help.

Pavel

• Marked as answer by Talya Klain Friday, April 29, 2011 9:59 AM
    Friday, April 29, 2011 9:59 AM
  • Thanks for the added info, Pavel.  We are seeing this issue on our side as well and your last update was really helpful.

Phong Hoang

Thursday, June 9, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Pavel, can you please give more details about the dll Microsoft provided? Should it be installed on each clien machine independently or it is sufficient to reside on the host? Is it free fro everybody or must be requested from the Microsoft?

We have the same issue, but don't have the ability to move to .Net 4.0, so looking for other solutions.

Monday, August 8, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Dmitry, 

We used external developer to investigate and handle the issue through Microsoft, so I do not have exact details, but I do know that this dll was part of the PresentationHost.exe suite and it have to be installed on each machine and not part of your solution. It is generally was fee from Microsoft, but they do not provide it publicly; it was part of our partnership support we got from them. I f you are official pattern you gain free support from Microsoft. They suggested using this dll to see if it resolves the issue, but eventually this did not since it creates other issues in the machine. I do not know what exact issues, due we switched to backup plan to use the host of that XBAP application in 4.0 NET, and not deep with the dll. Actually we were afraid of that too, but it was easy to implement, in only host solution (XBAP) who handles .NET 4.0 NET, the whole solution of WPF remain in .NET 3.5.

Good luck.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 2:34 PM
  • Vadzim Kharlanau,

It is a shame that this issue is not fixed yet.  Its now 2015 and I have this very same issue using .NET 3.5 SP1.  Do you know if it is possible to embed the latest version of "MSVCR80.dll" in a XBAP, partially trusted application?  Or how can we specify which path/version of this DLL to use in the manifest? 

- Rashad Rivera [RashadRivera <at> GMail.com]

- Rashad Rivera www.omegusprime.com

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 4:53 PM