visual studio express 2012 woes

Question

• The winJS reference conflict is stopping me from developing an app based on reference material, specifically the websockets and datagram sample projects.  The references in the samples are to WinJS 1.0, and attempting to reference to WinJS 1.0RC is a fruitless endeavor. The RTM version of Visual Studio won't install properly because of a .NET framework issue that I have similarly been unable to resolve.  On install it says that the framework revision needs updating, but the .NET installer then tells me that everything is up to date.  Frustrating bit of back and forth.

• Edited by glack Saturday, September 8, 2012 3:25 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:50 AM

Answers

• Hi G,

Sorry you are frustrated. 

You said, "every piece of sample code I want to run via visual studio is worthless with the win8 release client".  If I understand you correctly, you want to run the new RTM samples in a previous version of the OS of Visual Studio?  No, you must use RTM with RTM.  All of the new samples (that I have run anyhow) work absolutely fine in RTM.  The RTM eval for the OS and Visual Studio are free downloads so you can grab them if that is what you are facing.

If you are having a different problem, could you please form the problem as a question?  We could help you then!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

• Marked as answer by glack Saturday, September 8, 2012 3:19 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:00 PM

All replies

• glack,

Sorry to hear that this has been frustrating for you.

The steps to reference the correct WinJS version that comes bundled with Visual Studio Express are described in this post (involves 2 steps: switching references and updating the JS includes): http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithhtml5/thread/52b928a8-b47c-4754-871f-20c31278ea3d

The version mappings are:

Visual Studio Consumer Preview => WinJS 0.6

Visual Studio Release Preview => WinJS 1.0 RC

Visual Studio RTM  => WinJS 1.0

Regards,

Lisa

Friday, September 7, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Hi G,

Sorry you are frustrated. 

You said, "every piece of sample code I want to run via visual studio is worthless with the win8 release client".  If I understand you correctly, you want to run the new RTM samples in a previous version of the OS of Visual Studio?  No, you must use RTM with RTM.  All of the new samples (that I have run anyhow) work absolutely fine in RTM.  The RTM eval for the OS and Visual Studio are free downloads so you can grab them if that is what you are facing.

If you are having a different problem, could you please form the problem as a question?  We could help you then!

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

• Marked as answer by glack Saturday, September 8, 2012 3:19 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:00 PM
  • apologies to both of you, I've amended my post to reflect the crux of my actual *computing problems* as opposed to just blabbering inanely into the abyss.  this might "help you help me" a bit more.

AHA. Attention to detail is key... user error as usual. I failed to check the version on the dev machine, it was still running the release preview and not the RTM build.  problem solved, should have hid the keyboard from myself until I was ready to use it properly.  thanks again.

• Edited by glack Saturday, September 8, 2012 3:26 AM
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 2:06 AM
  • apologies to both of you, I've amended my post to reflect the crux of my actual *computing problems* as opposed to just blabbering inanely into the abyss.  this might "help you help me" a bit more.

AHA. Attention to detail is key... user error as usual. I failed to check the version on the dev machine, it was still running the release preview and not the RTM build.  problem solved, should have hid the keyboard from myself until I was ready to use it properly.  thanks again.

glack, your follow up post is hilarious :)
    Saturday, September 8, 2012 7:03 PM