none
how can I get duration to automatically fill in based on the % effort that I plug in RRS feed

• Question

• I have MAN DAYS that a task would take. (Peter needs 3 days to model a character IF he was working at 100%)

I have allocated % for that task per day (Peter can work 50% each day on that task)

I want to know SCHEDULE DAYS that it would take Peter to complete the task. (Should be 6 days)

SO how can I get this to automate based on the % effort that I plug in? (say I change the 50% to 25%, how can the duration reflect the new total without me manually inputting)

Saturday, January 21, 2017 1:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Wenski,

1.  Make sure your task is autoscheduled

2.  Enter the work value (man days) in the work column.

3.  Press ALT-F10, and select the resource and change he allocation units.

4.  Duration is calculated for you.

You can also set the task type of fixed work, meaning if you then change the allocation units retrospectively, the duration (and not the work) will change.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:45 PM
  • Wenski1985,

This is a very basic and straightforward scenario. The first screen shot shows a fixed work task with 3 days duration. Peter is assigned to the task which will give a default assignment of 100% (1 unit). In the second screen shot, Peter's assignment level is reduced to 50% (0.5). Since it is a fixed work task, Project automatically increases the duration to reflect the lower assignment level.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:49 PM
  • Thank you very much - obviously I'm teaching myself and I'm looking for all the help I can get! This worked :)
    Monday, January 23, 2017 5:48 PM
  • Thank you, this helped me as well!
    Monday, January 23, 2017 5:49 PM
  • Wenski1985,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Monday, January 23, 2017 6:01 PM