Missing Start Menu is a usability nightmare

General discussion

• The start menu in Windows 8 has been replaced as a shortcut to the metro user interface.  There are a lot of features of the start menu that are not included in the metro user interface and as a result of that decision, Windows 8 has a lot of usability issues.  Please consider replacing the start menu on the traditional Windows desktop view.  There are better ways in windows of getting back to the metro UI, including the right-edge swipe.  It would also be acceptable to add a new option in the start menu to go to the Metro UI.  However, Windows 8 usability will be rated very low and many customers will be upset because the traditional start button has been removed and much of the functionality in it is no longer available in the Metro UI.  I understand what Microsoft was attempting to do, but that doesn't make it a good idea.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:55 PM

All replies

• Just use your hotkeys, that's what I do now so I don't really miss the old startmenu.
    I would love to see an easier search function in it though.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:59 PM
  • I have WDP installed on a Acer W50 tablet and on a desktop and I do not miss the start menu *at all* Plus don't forget that the version we have isn't even a beta version, there's lots more usability to come from the Metro screen...

As for search being easier, how could it be any easier? If you have a keyboard attached then just start typing from the Metro Start Screen and it will start searching... On a tablet just swipe inwards from the right side, hit search and then tap the text box to bring up a keyboard!

I'm loving Windows 8 so far, it's great on a tablet and surprisingly just as easy and usable on a desktop. Cannot wait to get my hands on the betas / final versions!!

Hurry up Microsoft! :)

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:09 PM
  • "if you have a keyboard attached" is not a safe assumption.  Please consider a tablet user experience (no keyboard present).

As for the suggestion of using the hotkeys, also note that there is no Windows key on the onscreen keyboard, so I cannot just use the windows hotkey.

To give a couple of examples of things that frustrate me with a missing start menu:

1. I cannot shut down the machine from the start menu.  This is most frustrating for server.
    2. I cannot just go to control panel | and a particular applet.  I must go to metro, then to control panel, then navigate through a couple of options.  Alternatively, I can start search, hit apps (because settings is too far down the screen to be seen), then click settings, then search, then click the applet.  Please note that something that used to be 2 clicks is now about 10-20.
    3. I cannot right click on an app and start it elevated or shift-right click and launch it as a different user.
    4. The metro UI does not have any folder options - every single application ever installed on the machine is listed.  I have to spend about 20 seconds scrolling through the list to find the apps I need.
    5. I miss my Adminstrative Tools option on the start menu.
    6. I miss my Run on the start menu.

Please consider that I am NOT saying get away from Metro, but please keep the start menu.  We are losing functionality here and that will significantly reduce the usability scores of Windows.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with you in some things, I think old start menu shouldn't disappear, fortunately there is a log way to Windows 8 GA, so maybe in the beta we will see a lot of changes.

As a workaround maybe, you would be able to came back the old start menu by changing a value into the Registry, but if you do this, you will lost most of the METRO UI features. 

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:43 PM
  • Agreed - I'm sure this will change.  Optimizing for touch is great -- and the entire point of this release is to get developers to start working on touch apps... but surely they won't totally destroy the desktop while they're at it right?

Shawn Keene
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:15 PM
  • I totally agree with what you're saying ... but my guess is that it's just disabled for the developer preview to place a higher emphasis on the start screen and Metro. The developer preview machines are supposed to be so that devs can create Metro apps, not just get a free tablet for day to day use. My guess is that's also why there are no real / useful "useful" apps on there ... like e-mail.
    Steve Ives
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 7:38 PM
    1. This is what the charm menu is for, swipe from right, select power and the shutdown.
    2. agrre, sometimes apps ae on top and sometimes not - i guess it is a bug
    3. there is a way to do this, you can swipe select the developer cmd tile and then swipe up and run as admin.  there was also a quickcut, i will have to dig into it
    4. agreed, though one can group this is not long term practical as i have fond on my ipad with 150 apps
    5. There is an option to enable this, go to start screen, bring up charms, press settings, press preferences, enable show admin tools - however doesn't seem to do anything on my machine, i guess this is a bug?
    6. i guess search is supposed to do same thing if you know the exe name and is local?  winkey+r still works 😍
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:17 PM