power button options - need 'turn off screen' option

General discussion

• With tablets now the rave, I think it is time that Microsoft add another option to the action list of what to do when the power button is pressed.  It currently has options for turning off and going to sleep, but a tablet user will also want to simply turn off the screen.  The expectation is that they can just hit the button again and have the screen turned back on without having to re-authenticate.

Consider this user story:  a user is in a conference using a tablet to take notes.  They want to preserve their power.  The user is using OneNote and taking notes.  They want to hit the power button to turn off the screen without invoking a suspend/sleep state.  They then want to hit the power button again and immediately resume where they left off to continue taking notes.  They do not want to reauthenticate to the OS.

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:42 PM

All replies

• On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 16:42:26 +0000, Shan McArthur [MVP] wrote:

They then want to hit the power button again and immediately resume where they left off to continue taking notes.? They do not want to reauthenticate to the OS.

This has been possible since at least Vista. You need to go in to the
    Advanced settings for whatever power plan you're currently using and then
    simply toggle the Require a pssword on wakeup from Yes to No.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    If a program is useless, it must be documented.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 4:54 PM
  • I understand that, but that does not address my scenario.  The user still wants to be able to sleep the tablet and require a password to resume it.  Using the setting as you have suggested will make the tablet very insecure as it will not require any authentication when it comes out of sleep.  What I am asking for is an additional setting so that the user can quickly turn off the screen and turn it back on again, without interfering with the existing behaviors of Windows and security settings.
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:10 PM
  • On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 17:10:52 +0000, Shan McArthur [MVP] wrote:

I understand that, but that does not address my scenario.? The user still wants to be able to sleep the tablet and require a password to resume it.? Using the setting as you have suggested will make the tablet very insecure as it will not require any authentication when it comes out of sleep.? What I am asking for is an additional setting so that the user can quickly turn off the screen and turn it back on again, without interfering with the existing behaviors of Windows and security settings.

There must be a reason this hasn't been provided in the past, as after all,
    this isn't something that only a tablet user would want, seems to me that
    laptop users could also use it.

One option would be to simply set a very low timeout value in power options
    for turning off the display.

Another option you might want to look at is a tool called Wizmo.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    E Pluribus UNIX.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:26 PM
  • What might be nice is if there were more options for  "Require Password on Wakeup".  Not just Yes/No, but instead "Immediately," "After xx Minutes," or "Never."

That's pretty much how it works on my HP Touchpad and that would be a nice option for Windows 8.

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:35 PM
  • I agree, and that is what they just added to Mango.  It would be nice for Windows too.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:04 PM