none
Linq To SQL does it support StoreProc/Open Query ? RRS feed

• Question

• I was able to use a Store Procedure that has a Open Query to a server Progress 9.1, all is fine in my vb code if my open query as no parameters. But if there's a parameter I'm only able to Execute it from the DataBase Explorer and from my vb nothing no data ?!

Public Class Form1

Private records As New LINQ_JOBDataContext

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim parm As String = TextBox1.Text

Dim rec = records.TEST2(parm)

DataGridView1.DataSource = rec

End Sub

End Class

______________________________________________________________________________________

CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[TEST4]

@pEmID varchar(10)

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @2Q          VARCHAR(2)

DECLARE @CMD         NVARCHAR(MAX)

DECLARE @BASESELECT  VARCHAR(MAX)

DECLARE @PwHERE      vARCHAR(mAX)

SET @2Q = CHAR(39) + CHAR(39)

SET @PWHERE = ' AND H.EmpId  = ' + @2Q + @pEmID + @2Q

SET @BASESELECT = ' SELECT ucase(Company), EmpID ,EmpStatus ,FirstName ,MiddleInitial ,LastName  ,Name  ,JCDept ,Address ,Address2 ,City ,"State"  ,ZIP ,Country  ,Phone ,EMailAddress as EmailAddress ,EmgContact   as ContactPerson ,EmgPhone        as ContactPhone, Shift, LaborRate

FROM pub."EmpBasic" H

WHERE H.Company = ''''THECie'''' ' + @PWHERE

SET @CMD =    N'SELECT * FROM OPENQUERY ( vntglive, ''' + @BASESELECT + N' ''  ) '

--print @cmd

EXEC master.dbo.sp_executesql @CMD

END

return

Monday, October 12, 2015 10:59 PM

Answers

• But if there's a parameter I'm only able to Execute it from the DataBase Explorer and from my vb nothing no data ?!

I found a Remark about OPENQUERY, it says

OPENQUERY does not accept variables for its arguments.

OPENQUERY cannot be used to execute extended stored procedures on a linked server. However, an extended stored procedure can be executed on a linked server by using a four-part name. For example:

EXEC SeattleSales.master.dbo.xp_msver

Any call to OPENDATASOURCE, OPENQUERY, or OPENROWSET in the FROM clause is evaluated separately and independently from any call to these functions used as the target of the update, even if identical arguments are supplied to the two calls. In particular, filter or join conditions applied on the result of one of those calls have no effect on the results of the other. Maybe this is the cause of issue.

You can refer to see it in detail. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188427.aspx

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:57 AM