none
Any option to disable content typing while editing the MS Word document RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there any option or macro function to avoid content editing (Content adding and deletions) while editing the MS Word document. It'll be very helpful to format the document without any content issues.

Monday, August 1, 2016 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam1085,

Thanks very much for your detail steps to help us reproduce this issue. I’m able to reproduce this issue. If this is a feature you want to include in the feature version of Word, I suggest you submit a feedback from the link below:

http://word.uservoice.com

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:30 AM

All replies

• >>>Is there any option or macro function to avoid content editing (Content adding and deletions) while editing the MS Word document. 

According to your description, you could protect document and parts of a document manually and programmatically. You could use Section.ProtectedForForms Property to make the specified section is protected for forms. When a section is protected for forms, you can select and modify text only in form fields. To protect an entire document, use the Protect method of the Document object.

For more information, please refer about Section.ProtectedForForms Property (Word) and Document.Protect Method (Word)

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:13 AM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your response. Yes, Above mentioned methods will be very useful for typing forms. But, In my document does not contains form properties or document levels. It's normal MS word document.

I just needs to stop/pause adding content when press formatting shortcut keys (Ex Ctrl+D, Alt+O+P).

Just think about this example. User have to change paragraph indentation by clicking Alt+O+P. But mistakenly he will click only O+P buttons. then content will be adding to the document. So, finally he needs to again compare both documents to identify content mismatches.

So, Is there any way to disable typing content in Word document. (Goal is Only enable MS Word Formatting Shortcut Keys.)

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:59 AM
  • While it's possible to allow editing the text but forbid changes to the formatting, I don't know of a way to allow applying formatting but forbid editing the text.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Hi Hans,

Thank you for the details.

I just tried it by select paragraphs and click Developer>>Grouping in MS Word (Content Control Group). Then forbid editing the text and formatting. No option to enable formatting :(

Hope this type of function will be add into the next version of MS Office :) like 'No Content Changes' mode.

• Edited by Sam1085 Tuesday, August 2, 2016 4:02 PM updated
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi Sam1085,

Thanks very much for your detail steps to help us reproduce this issue. I’m able to reproduce this issue. If this is a feature you want to include in the feature version of Word, I suggest you submit a feedback from the link below:

http://word.uservoice.com

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 11, 2016 1:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Tuesday, August 16, 2016 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 2:30 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for the details.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:34 AM