invalid username and password

Question

• hey guys

i jus installed windows 8 developer preview alongside windows 7.so my machine is dual doot.

but as soon as i select windows 8 from boot menu,it loads and i am presented with a screen which has to be slided up.

then it asks me for username and password.i tried many many combinations but i cant get to know what is it.i dont know what to do or enter as username and password cuz it shows any entry by me as invalid username and password.pls help me guys.temme wat do i need to enter there.otherwise i cant get into the windows 8. 

Friday, September 16, 2011 2:26 PM

Answers

• Hey Egorulz,

An alternative to using F8 to getting into the repair screen is to boot from the installation media that you installed Windows Developer Preview with. To do this:

• Insert the DVD or USB drive that you used to install Windows Developer Preview
    • Restart your computer
    • Press any key on your computer when you are prompted to press any key to boot off of the DVD/USB
    • Click Next (once the window appears)
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left side of the window
    • When the Choose an option screen appears, click Troubleshoot
    • Click Reset your PC

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:25 PM

All replies

• Rohan2294,   Upon the first install of Windows Developer Preview it should have asked you to create a user.  You have the choice of setting up a local admin or using a Windows LiveID.  Do you get a list of users on the log in screen? 

Greg - Microsoft Support Engineer
    Friday, September 16, 2011 3:35 PM
  • nope sir. not at all.i hav created a dual boot machine with windows 7 n windows 8.as i log in to windows 8 it asks for username and password.

i tried many combinations but couldnt get through.and the logon screen shows as OTHER USER on top.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Is this problem still there ? I'm facing the same thing. Not able to log in with live id, and was not asked to create any other user while installing.
    Monday, September 26, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hey Rohan2294 and Egorulz,

If you have connected this computer to a domain try inputting your username using the following format: Domain\Username

Then enter your password for the domain to see if you can then log in.

If that doesn't help or if you aren't attached to a domain, try refreshing your PC to see if that resolve the problem. Here is what will happen when you refresh your PC:

• Your files and personalization settings won't change.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.
    • Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

To reset your PC:

• Restart your computer
    • Tap F8 on your keyboard
    • Click Refresh your PC

Then follow the instructions provided on the screen. Also you may be prompted to insert your installation media, this is the USB or DVD that you used to install Windows Developer Preview.

If that doesn't help, the next step will be to reset your PC to create your initial user account again. Here is what will happen when you reset your PC:

• Your personal files and apps will be removed.
    • Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

To reset your PC: (Also be sure to check the note below)

• Restart your computer
    • Tap F8 on your keyboard
    • Click Reset your PC

Then follow the instructions provided on the screen. Again you may be prompted to insert your installation media, if it isn't already inserted.

Note: An alternative to using the "Reset your PC" option would be to using your installation media for Windows Developer Preview to reinstall Windows Developer Preview as a custom installation on the partition that you previously installed Windows Developer Preview. Then you may be able to restore some of your personal files by following steps similar to the ones provided in the link below:
    How to restore your personal files after you perform a custom installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7

Steven
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:04 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Tried restarting the computer and tapping F8. But nothing happened other than the log in screen popping up. No Choose an option screen appeared. I am not using any domain. Is there any common (local) username or password which can be used to log in which does not need an internet connection ? I'm trying to log in using the windows live account I am posting here but it says invalid username/password. 

During the installation I was not prompted to enter any username or password. 

So now my computer is a dual boot with windows 7 and windows 8 dev preview. But all I can do in win 8 dev prev is log in and type log in details only to get rejected.

Egorulz

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hey Egorulz,

An alternative to using F8 to getting into the repair screen is to boot from the installation media that you installed Windows Developer Preview with. To do this:

• Insert the DVD or USB drive that you used to install Windows Developer Preview
    • Restart your computer
    • Press any key on your computer when you are prompted to press any key to boot off of the DVD/USB
    • Click Next (once the window appears)
    • Click Repair your computer in the lower left side of the window
    • Click Reset your PC

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:25 PM
  • I had the case once. I think it happened just because I selected custom settings (something like that) during final setting steps. Everything ok when I selected quick settings

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:58 PM
  • I got the same problem and I did go the customized setting...

The system never ask me to set up account info and I am stuck at the log on screen. (Live ID didn't work it just send me the message telling that I must be online something...)

This is really frustrating. And now I am doing the repair process.

Not a good experience for a first try of the brand-new windows... (more like a waste of time)

Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:37 PM