Update an Image just in time

Question

• Hello, i have this code:

Concurrency::task<void> Login::LoadCaptchaImage( String^ imageUrl )
    {
         namespace Xaml = Windows::UI::Xaml;
         using namespace Concurrency;

task_completion_event<void> tce;
         auto source = ref new Xaml::Media::Imaging::BitmapImage( ref new Windows::Foundation::Uri( imageUrl ) );

//event does not get fired with the following line commented out
         //CaptchaImage->Source = source;

source->ImageOpened += ref new Xaml::RoutedEventHandler( [tce]( Object^ sender, Xaml::RoutedEventArgs^ e )
         {
              tce.set( );
         } );

return task<void>( tce ).then( 
              [this, source]( )
         {
              // the CaptchaImage should now be updated since the source is loaded
              CaptchaImage->Source = source; // Crash here regardless of the task continuation context
         }, task_continuation_context::use_current( ) );
    }

1.) Why does this crash on the last task?

EDIT: Ok this was my mistake, it didnt crash there but the .then afterwards which didnt use the correct task_continuation_context. however the last problem is still existing.

2.) Why does this not even come to the last task when i have 

//CaptchaImage->Source = source;

not commented out? Why does BitmapImage not fire its Loaded event if it is not attached to an Image?

Update:

I cannot post links right now as my account has not been verified (my surface runs on it but nvm xD). see the official doc regarding BitmapImage.ImageOpened:

"The BitmapImage.ImageOpened fires at a time that is potentially before you've assigned your BitmapImage to be the source of an Image or ImageBrush."

Which is obviously not true as my example above shows...
    • Edited by kr4uzi Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:43 PM update
    Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi kr4uzi,

A BitmapImage will not be initialized until necessary. The default value of a BitmapImage's CreateOptions is BitmapCreateOptions.DelayCreation. All that is needed to fix this is to set CreateOptions to BitmapCreateOptions.None.

For a sample code, please refer this post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15624995/bitmapimage-imageopened-not-firing

Regards!

Xiaoliang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, January 27, 2014 4:01 AM