Silverlight Video Player Preview Thumbs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends, I am new and I need to some help.

Here is my situation,

I am going to play a wmv file in media element control.

When media opened user can see a thumb of movie when he/she moves mouse pointer across the seek bar in a small preview pane.

Thumb will be relevant to mouse location in seek bar. Means if mouse on 1:20:21 (h:m:s) position user can see a thumb of movie from that position.

One idea is store each frames (may be each in 10 sec. of interval) into server and set image source to that image on mouse move but this create extra load on server and cutting frames from wmv add extra processes. I am trying to avoid it.

Any idea will be appreciated.  Thanks

Thursday, March 10, 2011 3:27 AM

All replies

• You can use the WriteableBitmap approach to render the MediaElement control.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Server is filled with WMV files only

Silverlight player will play them and show full movie preview across seek bar. This preview is independent from play position. Means, once the video opened, user can see preview for full movie across seek bar using mouse pointer and he can decide from where he want to see the movie.

I can take snap shot of playing movie using WritableBitmap but how this can help me out for this situation.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:45 PM
  • :), I really tried to find a solution which will do this without saving thumbs physically on server, which will be dynamic but it seems there is no way but save thumbs on server and show them on position as preview.

Ny friends, the last answer was really a bit relevant and thumb capturing app is really a help and marked with all of my respect  :). thank you. Love u silverlight, love u friends :)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:50 AM