Design Challenge RRS feed

• Question

• User2116956754 posted

I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a good design for an application with the following restrictions

1. Needs to be MVC

2. Needs to query a backend Oracle Database

3. Need to be able to call stored procedures, and grab values from functions which will then handle business logic based on these results. Some scenarios an update is requried vs. an insert.

4. Cannot use Entity Framework, N-hibernate or any Oracle Mapping tools due to a poor table structure

It is currently implemented in ASP.NET Webforms where there is a class devoted to making all of the calls to the database using ODAC objects, and the application is mainly driven by a gridview. The application needs to be converted  over to MVC.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:13 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

You can use plain ADO.NET for your data access. Here's an example: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/132/ASP.NET-MVC-is-not-all-about-Linq-to-SQL.  

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:05 PM
  • User1622957740 posted

As others said you don't need an ORM for simple tasks like this.

I would recommend looking into a simple ADO.NET based data access layer wrapper like PetaPoco, Dapper or Massive that simplify the ADO.NET data access tasks to more manageable single line query commands.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:23 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

You can use plain ADO.NET for your data access. Here's an example: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article/132/ASP.NET-MVC-is-not-all-about-Linq-to-SQL.  

Thursday, June 20, 2013 4:05 PM
  • User-488622176 posted
    • Create poco business entities
    • Create a DAL responsible for persistance
    • Create a BLL for handling business logic & communicating between UI & DAl
    • No need for WCF unless you need to deploy UI & BLL on separat machines

Just KISS :-)

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:32 AM
  • User1622957740 posted

As others said you don't need an ORM for simple tasks like this.

I would recommend looking into a simple ADO.NET based data access layer wrapper like PetaPoco, Dapper or Massive that simplify the ADO.NET data access tasks to more manageable single line query commands.

Sunday, June 30, 2013 2:23 PM
  • User459659623 posted

I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a good design for an application with the following restrictions

1. Needs to be MVC

2. Needs to query a backend Oracle Database

3. Need to be able to call stored procedures, and grab values from functions which will then handle business logic based on these results. Some scenarios an update is requried vs. an insert.

4. Cannot use Entity Framework, N-hibernate or any Oracle Mapping tools due to a poor table structure

It is currently implemented in ASP.NET Webforms where there is a class devoted to making all of the calls to the database using ODAC objects, and the application is mainly driven by a gridview. The application needs to be converted  over to MVC.

You can use PetaPoco.

For details you can check below link

http://www.dotnetjalps.com/2013/03/CRUD-operation-PetaPoco-and-ASP-NET-MVC.html

Monday, July 1, 2013 7:30 AM