Re-hosting Workflow Designer 4.5.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Why is it not possible to get the windows wokflow designer I get in VS 2013 when I re-host it? No matter what I do, Context.Service.GetService(...) overrides of Annotations and Target Framework set to 4.5.1, it will always just display the old WF 4.0.

Is this possible at all, or we are stuck with re-hosting the 4.0 designer, notwithstanding the 3 frameworks released after that one?

Thanks.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 11:21 PM

All replies

• I specifically said in my original post that I have already tried it.

So the question is really this: can any workflow designer above 4.0 be hosted or not? Simple YES or NO.

Thanks.

Monday, May 26, 2014 9:11 PM
  • Yes.

I took the sample DesignerRehosting project and followed the steps outlined in the blog post I linked to and I have annotations enabled in the designer. Annotations are a 4.5+ only feature so the rehosting works with 4.5+.

You're doing something wrong, go through the steps again carefully. Setup the designer context immediately after you create the WorkflowDesigner instance and before you load anything into it.

Monday, May 26, 2014 9:21 PM
  • I am not doing anything wrong, you are not reading my question at all for the second time. I could not care less about the annotations, this is something I will never need. What we all need, and Microsoft is not giving us (and are also failing to tell us they would not make it available) are things like: intellisense in re-hosted designer, 4.5.1 designer, C# sintax in activities etc.

Not to mention bugs with switch and several other statements not rendering XAML correctly...there are hacking ways around it, sure.

But hey, we got the annotations!

Check this re-hosted designer in 4.5.1 (yes, it's got the annotations):

http://tinypic.com/r/2nbg4gp/8

What is the difference between that and 4.0 workflow from almost 4 years ago? Yes, annotations, cool.

Now see this workflow designer in VS 2013:

http://tinypic.com/r/1zwhy13/8

This is totally different: icons, activities, designer itself...everything is different, and they don't allow it to be hosted.

So the only thing I want to know: is this not going to be made available ever, as they are playing games with us for years? If not, then I would pursue other options since this will never work for me.

Monday, May 26, 2014 10:00 PM