none
sharepoint 2013 reusable workflow vs sharepoint 2013 list workflow RRS feed

• Question

• I need to know whether to go for reusable workflow or list workflow. We have a complex designer 2013 worklow which runs on one sharepoint list.

One disadvantage I found for reusable workflow is I can not edit current list custom columns but I can anyway do that using update list item passing current Item ID.

Apart from that reusable workflow looks good.

For list workflow as its bound to one list deployment to different clients may cause some issues.

I am looking for some good opinions.

MCTS Sharepoint 2010, MCAD dotnet, MCPDEA, SharePoint Lead

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:28 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I understand you want to know whether to go for reusable workflow or list workflow.

Reusable workflow and list workflow all have their own advantages and disadvantages, whether to go for reusable workflow or list workflow is depend on our demand.

For reusable workflow, though we need to update list item passing current Item ID, it can be attached to multiple SharePoint Forms. We can also package and deploy the Reusable Workflow in Visual Studio 2010.

For list workflow, there are several ways by which you can guarantee that the target server has the necessary lists and schemas but leveraging STP package is a good practice. If the workflow package is deployed to a site where the lists don’t exist, we need to do the following:

• Open SPD and delete the workflow definition which failed during feature activation
    • Deactivate the solution and remove the solution
    • Upload the solution and activate the solution
    • Activate the site feature

More information:

Create a Workflow for Multiple SharePoint Forms Using SharePoint Designer: http://go.limeleap.com/community/bid/292450/Create-a-Workflow-for-Multiple-SharePoint-Forms-Using-SharePoint-Designer

Packaging SharePoint 2013 List, Site, and Reusable Workflow and How to Deploy the Package: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdesigner/archive/2012/08/30/packaging-list-site-and-reusable-workflow-and-how-to-deploy-the-package.aspx

Best Regards,

Linda Li

• Marked as answer by Lindali Wednesday, August 21, 2013 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 3:55 AM
  • Now as we have single list with 3/4 workflows(SharePoint 2013) to kickoff we are going to use rapid list based sharepoint designer workflows and decision making based on list columns is easier that reusable workflows as in reusable workflows you can not use custom columns easily. We do not have any intention of reusing the same workflow on any other list or forms.

MCTS Sharepoint 2010, MCAD dotnet, MCPDEA, SharePoint Lead

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:30 PM