none
Subscription expired - am I still licensed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My subscription expired recently. Am I still licensed to run the software that came with my subscription (OSs, Visual Studio, etc.)?

Steve

Steve
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hey Steve,

This is documented here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx.  The third paragraph starts

In most cases, MSDN subscriptions come with “perpetual” use rights—the ability to continue using the software after the subscription has expired, even though the ability to download software and product keys ends when the subscription expires. 

There are some outside cases which could remove the perpetual license, so go ahead and read that link, and the linked whitepaper at the bottom of that page.  If there are any particulars you have questions on, let me know!

Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:40 PM

All replies

• Hey Steve,

This is documented here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx.  The third paragraph starts

In most cases, MSDN subscriptions come with “perpetual” use rights—the ability to continue using the software after the subscription has expired, even though the ability to download software and product keys ends when the subscription expires. 

There are some outside cases which could remove the perpetual license, so go ahead and read that link, and the linked whitepaper at the bottom of that page.  If there are any particulars you have questions on, let me know!

Mike

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:40 PM
  • So I don't get it. In the past, when my subscription would expire, I would still be able to download everything that had been available up until the expiration date. So I would be able to download files and get at my KEYS so that I could continue to use and test products.

But, for some reason, this time I no longer seem to be able to download anything after this subscription expiration. Is this normal? If I had known I would have downloaded everything that I might have needed for testing and stored them locally. If I had been receiving the DVDs then I would still have access to them, so why stop my access to the downloads?

Is there a way to purchase a set of all the DVDs that were available at the time of my subscription expiration?

I will, at some time, re-subscribe, but probably not at the same level. So does this mean that I am stuck to never be able to download any files that I don't already have?

Help, please.

Mike

Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:22 AM
  • Its normal Mike.  After your expiration date hits, we actually give you a bit of extra time to renew your subscription and still have your access to the site uninterrupted.  This is called "expired" but internally we refer to it as "Grace" because you're in a grace period before you have to renew.  I forget exactly how long this is, but its something like the rest of the calendar month, or 30 days or something.

After that period ends, your subscription moves to "Ended" which means you do lose access to the downloads you had access to.  You still, however, can see the product keys that you have claimed while your subscription was active.

I'm sure these answers aren't exactly what you want to hear, so I'm sorry about that, but the subscription doesn't include perpetual download access.  It does, however, include perpetual licensing for you to use the products you obtained during the active portion of the subscription.  I talk a bit more about that below.  

>> Is there a way to purchase a set of all the DVDs that were available at the time of my subscription expiration?

Unfortunately we dont offer back-dated DVDs for separate purchase.  If you had a DVD subscription, it couldn't hurt to contact the Customer Service center to ask if they can replace some missing DVDs from your collection, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to or not, nor if they'll charge you a replacement fee.  You can find their contact information here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

>> I will, at some time, re-subscribe, but probably not at the same level. So does this mean that I am stuck to never be able to download any files that I don't already have?

From our help page on MSDN Licensing (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/cc150618.aspx): In most cases, MSDN subscriptions come with “perpetual” use rights—the ability to continue using the software after the subscription has expired, even though the ability to download software and product keys ends when the subscription expires.  So, you lose access to the download site after your subscription expires.  However, your license to use the software you obtained is intact perpetually, even though your subscription has expired. 

Thanks,
    Mike

Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:49 PM
  • Please allow me to say that MSDN / Technet Subscription has about 2 months of Grace period.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hello to everybody. I try to get it but I am not sure so I wanna ask you. The subscription I owned (Visual Studio Professional with MSDN) at the previous company I was working  (actually the company paid for this) "Expired at 5/2/2014" but I already had downloaded visual studio 2012 (plus vs 2010). (before the expiration) . Currently I work on another company and they don't have license for visual studio 2012 or vs 2010. Is it legal to install vs on my computer inside the company I work currently with the key I had got when the subscription was active? 

• Edited by spigrig Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:46 AM
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 8:33 AM
  • I'm not a lawyer, but if your previous company paid for the subscription, then you can't use it once you leave. It's technically their property (whether they know it or not). I would also add that using something like Visual Studio that Company A bought and technically owns, at Company B would probably put Company B in legal peril beyond just the Microsoft licensing being invalid.

Again, I'm not a lawyer. I have no references or source links for you. Those are just my thoughts based on things I had read or heard over the years. 

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Hello,

So, along the same line of questioning:  When do Visual Studio (MSDN) subscriptions Expire after being activated?

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 5:06 PM