none
a class this class derives from already defines the method - problem RRS feed

• Question

• hi

I want to connect between textbox control (from a derived from ) to a protected method from the base from. it's work but it is not let me to watch the derived form now, this is the msg :

"The method 'ParameterTxt_Change' cannot be the method for an event because a class this class derives from already defines the method."

what should i do ?

again  - at runtime it's work perfect !!!

Sunday, November 18, 2007 12:33 PM

Answers

• The solution for this problem which I found:

To make event handler method in all derived classes (as it is generated by designer), but move it's common code to the method of the base class.

E.g. there is Dialog1: Dialog and Dialog2: Dialog, both with buttons 'Cancel', which could be displayed differently, but you want them to behaive in the same way,

so in Dialog1 and Dialog2:

private void buttonCancel_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

this.dialog_buttonCancel_Click(sender, e);

}

in Dialog:

protected void dialog_buttonCancel_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

// your mega reusable code for handling click event

}

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• It is hard to give specific answers without specific code examples, so I will provide a broad answer. 

It sounds like what you are trying to do might not be consistent with good OOP, Object Oriented Programming, practices.  If 2 two classes need access to the same method, define that method in a separate class.  AH, but the form designer makes your textbox controls private, so you have to define your methods within a given form's class.  Or do you....

Rudedog

"Stuck in a procedural world since 1971."

PDP-8

ASR-33

Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:26 PM
  •  Rudedog2 wrote:

It is hard to give specific answers without specific code examples, so I will provide a broad answer. 

It sounds like what you are trying to do might not be consistent with good OOP, Object Oriented Programming, practices.  If 2 two classes need access to the same method, define that method in a separate class.  AH, but the form designer makes your textbox controls private, so you have to define your methods within a given form's class.  Or do you....

Rudedog

"Stuck in a procedural world since 1971."

PDP-8

ASR-33

Rudedog

thank's for your answer but this isn't the right answer i'm afraid but thank you any way

i should see my lectures wendsday i will ask him about it

maybe i will also upload the answer

itzika

Sunday, November 18, 2007 3:40 PM
  • Sounds like you are trying to re-write/override an inherited method, which is defined by a class , not an interface.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:17 PM
  • Hi itzika,

It seems that you redefine a method. Would you please a snippet code for analysis?

Friday, November 23, 2007 7:54 AM
  • The solution for this problem which I found:

To make event handler method in all derived classes (as it is generated by designer), but move it's common code to the method of the base class.

E.g. there is Dialog1: Dialog and Dialog2: Dialog, both with buttons 'Cancel', which could be displayed differently, but you want them to behaive in the same way,

so in Dialog1 and Dialog2:

private void buttonCancel_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)

{

this.dialog_buttonCancel_Click(sender, e);

}

in Dialog:

protected void dialog_buttonCancel_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

// your mega reusable code for handling click event

}

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:02 PM
  • This solved my problem,

http://bytes.com/topic/c-sharp/answers/821539-placing-event-handler-base-class

Is there is anything wrong with that. Please let me know.

Regards

Syam

Monday, December 10, 2012 7:12 AM