STOP: c000021a (Fatal System Error)" Error! RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,
    I am having the same more or less problem with the rest of the people here. When booting to windows xp I get a blue screen and a message like this
    STOP: c000021a (Fatal System error)
    The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status 0xc0000005 (0x7c9106c3 0x0053ec24)
    The system has been shut down.

I tried using the safe mode and removing the last program Microsoft SQL Express 2005 server that I've installed and after which I was getting this message but without any success. The system immediately crashes and i get the same blue screen.
    People do you have any ideas of what i could do to fix this???
    It's kind of urgent so I would appreciate any quick responses.
    thank you all again
    eveve
    • Edited by Jason.Smith Friday, June 26, 2009 5:49 PM fixing double encoding in title
    Monday, June 22, 2009 11:18 PM

All replies

• This link may be of some help. Please check this out http://blogs.msdn.com/petersad/archive/2009/01/20/sql-server-2005-sp3-sql-server-2005-sp2-cus-or-sql-server-2008-may-cause-xp-sp2-to-restart.aspx

Mark as Answer if it helps. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:29 AM
  • I did check this website before but unfortunately with no luck :((
    Now I'll try repairing my windows by using the cd and let's cross our fingers that this will do the job.
    thank you though for your help

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 7:00 AM
  • Hello eveve.  I'm faced with the same error and was curious as to whether or not a repair install of windows cured your problem?  Thanks.
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:05 AM
  • No unfortunately it didn't in fact it made things worse and I had to re-install windows on my computer completely which proved to be the best solution.
    Don't forget to get a backup of your files before going ahead with the the format of your computer because eventually you go there if you want to fix the problem.
    best of luck
    eveve
    Monday, August 31, 2009 9:43 AM
  • I encountered the same issue after installing SQL Server Express 2005. Dell PowerEdge 600SC Widows XP SP2. First you will need to remove your installation of SQL Server Express. To do this reboot the machine, pressing F8 during boot to get to the Boot Menu. Select Safe Mode and continue. Login, then click start, run, and type MSCONFIG. Once the MSCONFIG window appears click the services tab. Near the bottom right corner of the window you will see an option to Enable All Services and Disable All Services. Click disable all, this will disable all non-essential windows services. Now scroll through the services list and find Windows Installer, put a check mark next to it (this enables Windows Installer, which will allow you to remove programs from the Add/Remove programs applet). Click OK and restart your computer. After the restart you will see a dialogue box informing you that you are running in a special configuration mode, click OK, then when the MSCONFIG window appears click Cancel. Do not put a check mark in the "do not show this again" box as later you do want to see it again.

Your computer should boot normally. Login, click start, control panel, Add/Remove Programs, look for all SQL Express programs that were installed, starting from the bottom work your way up removing each one. You may get an error dialogue when trying to remove SQL Server Express 2005, click okay and go on. Once you have uninstalled SQL Server Express and all related installed programs. Click start, run, type MSCONFIG, click the services tab, click enable all. Click OK and restart your computer.

Your computer should reboot as normal without SQL express installed. Now apply the hotfix located here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921337 the other hotfix mentioned in other responses I did not apply because the one for SP2 is no longer available, and it ended up not being necessary.

Once you have installed the hotfix install SQL Server Express, I would avoid trying to install the whole developers package bundled with SQL Server Express Management Studio, just get through the basic installation first. Once you have successfully installed SQL Server Express, then install the Management Studio and perform any customizations you like.

The above mentioned MSCONFIG method is very handy in removing any program that causes you errors after installation, as long as you can boot in Safe Mode.

Enjoy!
    Joshua
    • Proposed as answer by Hitsuchan Tuesday, January 3, 2012 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Hello Jashua,

Thanks for the article. I was able to resolve the issue without rebuild my machine(Windows XP with SP2).

I tried to uninstall the SQL Server MSDE & 2005 , but it used to crash each time even in safe mode and minimal config.
    So i did a manual clean of both SQL MSDE & 2005.
    --Took backup of registry (HKLM--Software  & HKLM--System--CurrentControlSet--services)
    --Removed the entry for all the sql server service

I also thought of using Windows clean up utility (support.microsoft.com/kb/290301), but was able to solve without it. I will ugrade my Machine with Windows XP service pack 3, then i'll try to use the SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

Thank you.

Rags.
    • Edited by ragusragu Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:40 PM typo
    Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:37 PM
  • I did the first steps up to disabling the services on my tablet pc and now on restart the pen and the mouse do not work, so i can't click anything.  Help!!!
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:06 PM