Error trying to preview report that has shared datasource RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently created a report that worked fine and then I changed the datasource to be a shared datasource instead of an embedded datasource.  I then uploaded the report to my SQL Report Server and the report works fine.

I've recently been asked to change the report slightly and when I try to preview the report in Report Builder 2.0 I get the following error message: 

Deserialization failed: The report definition element 'ConnectionProperties' is empty at line 14, position 8. It is missing a mandatory child element of type 'DataProvider'. Line 14, position 8.

Has anyone else had this problem and how can I resolve this?  I've tried to download the report off the SQL Report Server to edit instead of changing my local RDL file but it gives me the same error message.  If I also try to make my changes without running a preview and just uploading my new RDL file I will get a similar error that the RDL file is invalid and cannot be uploaded because of the report definition element being empty.
    Monday, October 5, 2009 1:56 PM

Answers

• I removed all datasources in the report and tried again with fresh datasources and it seems to have resolved the issue.
    • Marked as answer by NoodlesCoder Monday, April 5, 2010 7:11 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I was encountering this issue as well.

I found that I had to go in to each data source in the report, Edit it down to the connection string, and Test Connection on each one.

Once this was done, further modifications to the report no longer caused the error listed above.

• Proposed as answer by Jeffrey Rush Friday, April 2, 2010 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by NoodlesCoder Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:22 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 2:07 PM

All replies

• I am able to workaround the issue by doing the following:

1. change the datasource to be an embedded datasource instead of a shared datasource
    2. save the report
    3. close and re-open the report
    4. change the datasource to be a shared datasource again.
    5. save the report

*Now I'm able to preview the report or upload it to the report server.

However, as soon as I close the report in Report Builder and re-open the report i get the same error message and the only way to resolve the issue is to repeat the 5 steps.  This does not seem like a very good solutin to the problem but I'm unsure about how to fix it in a more permanent manner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Monday, October 5, 2009 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

You can open the code of your rdl, and remove the following bold elements:

<DataSources>
        <DataSource Name="CircuitLine">
          <ConnectionProperties>
            <ConnectString />
            <IntegratedSecurity>true</IntegratedSecurity>
          </ConnectionProperties>
          <DataSourceReference>CTASIP</DataSourceReference>
          <rd:DataSourceID>b2265111-0e50-4657-a063-354622221dff</rd:DataSourceID>
          <rd:SecurityType>Windows</rd:SecurityType>
        </DataSource>

Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by Andy Cheung Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:12 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by NoodlesCoder Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:53 PM
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 7:12 AM
  • Hi Zpabuaa,

I tried that solution previously and it didn't work for me.  The only thing that worked was the workaround I mentioned above.  It's a nuisance but it's the only way for me to work around the problem that I found worked consistently.
    Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:54 PM
  • I had the same issue, but I also have another shared datasource in the report which was working just fine. It looked a little different so I duplicated the layout for that and it seems to have worked. The above solution leaves out the security type on the datasource which I guess prompts the application to put the 'ConnectionProperties' tag back in. My 'SecurityType' was set for 'Windows', but the datasource requires 'None' to get it to work properly. So instead do partially what Andy said and remove the 'ConnectionProperties' tag, but do not remove the 'SecurityType' tag, just change the 'Windows' to 'None'; worked for me, hope it works for you:

<DataSources>
          <ConnectionProperties>
            <ConnectString />
          </ConnectionProperties>
        </DataSource>

Analyzing why this bug occurred, I remember that I fiddled with the fact that it was an Embedded connection on the Data Source Properties Window. I assume that I then inadvertantly changed the 'SecurityType', which caused it to put the extra 'ConnectionProperties' tag in.
    Friday, March 12, 2010 2:08 PM
  • I removed all datasources in the report and tried again with fresh datasources and it seems to have resolved the issue.
    • Marked as answer by NoodlesCoder Monday, April 5, 2010 7:11 PM
    Monday, March 22, 2010 6:56 PM
  • I was encountering this issue as well.

I found that I had to go in to each data source in the report, Edit it down to the connection string, and Test Connection on each one.

Once this was done, further modifications to the report no longer caused the error listed above.

• Proposed as answer by Jeffrey Rush Friday, April 2, 2010 2:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by NoodlesCoder Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:22 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 2:07 PM
  • I think that's essentially the same thing I did.  You modified the existing the connections but I created new ones entirely.  Result is that there was something wrong with the connections that needed to be updated and tested.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 2:22 PM
  • That worked for me. Thanks.
    Patrick Hoban
    http://patrickhoban.wordpress.com
    Monday, July 11, 2011 10:28 PM
  • Hi,

You can open the code of your rdl, and remove the following bold elements:

<DataSources>
          <ConnectionProperties>
            <ConnectString />
          </ConnectionProperties>
        </DataSource>

Thanks.

This helped me.

Thanks...

Mpumelelo

Monday, August 5, 2019 8:45 AM