none
VB.net - build customize report wizard RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Sir/Madam,

I would like to see if you have any information could be sharing to me about building the customize report wizard.  I would like to let the user to build their customize report by their needs.  for example, I will create some views in MSSQL.  User can run the report wizard in my program, they can choose their required fields in the report, like query & view designer(report writer).  Can we do it in VB.net? or can we write the plug-in by using VB.net for excel, so that the user can be choosing required fields & conditions in report wizard to export MSSQL data to excel?  I would like to see if VB.net is possible to write this customer report writer? Any book or reference site for the information.  Many thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Jackie

Saturday, April 27, 2019 6:31 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Although it's possible this would be a huge undertaking for even simple reports and more so when you get into groupings and such. Depending on the business requirements if not complex consider creating a HTML structure save the file to disk, print then optionally delete the file. Still this is not a simple process.

Working with Excel can prove challenging also.

If you are making a decent amount of income from this product consider getting a third party product or looking into SQL-Server reporting services (which has a steep learning curve if you have not worked with this before).

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Sunday, April 28, 2019 7:33 PM