App crashes on closing RRS feed

• Question

• User295378 posted

When I close my app it shows unfortunately, APP has stopped

I dont know this happens

Sunday, March 19, 2017 4:41 PM

Answers

• User89714 posted

@Nani_777 - "pressing the back button from mainpage" puts the app into background, from where the operating system may or may not terminate it.

If your app uses MasterDetailPage and you see the problem in debug builds as well as release builds, then you might be hitting the bug that @JoeManke referenced. However, you will need to capture details of the exception being thrown to confirm whether this is the case or not. If the problem occurs in debug builds, you should be able to capture the exception information using the debugger. If the problem only arises in a release build downloaded from the app store and you currently have no way of capturing the exception details, you probably want to add support for HockeyApp, Xamarin.Insights or another analytics package to your app, not just because of the exception you are seeing now, but also to be able to track any other problems that might occur in production.

Or, you could just try re-building with the latest pre-release of 2.3.4 without doing anything else, but that won't solve the underlying supportability issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:13 PM

All replies

• User89714 posted

@Nami_777 - what do you mean by "close" ? On Windows desktop you might close an app. On Android, iOS and WinPhone your app might get backgrounded, and it might get terminated by the operating system, but you shouldn't be actively closing it yourself.

Sunday, March 19, 2017 5:02 PM
  • User295378 posted

I published my app in playstore and when I come out of the app it says unfortunately, APP has stopped

Monday, March 20, 2017 3:44 AM
  • User89714 posted

@Nami_777 - I'm still unclear what you mean by "come out of the app".

However, if your app is crashing when somebody is using it, you might want to add analytics in the form of HockeyApp, Xamarin.Insights or similar. Those will report back to you details of any exception thrown at run-time on any of your users' devices.

If the crash if happening on your own device, you should be able to check logs. You haven't mentioned what platform you are using, but if you Google log files on whichever platform it is, you should find instructions for checking the logs.

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:57 PM
  • User295378 posted

No, the app says that it had stopped when i close it

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:42 PM
  • User89714 posted

@Nani_777 - There is clearly an exception being thrown, but I assume you have not included comprehensive exception handling within your code, nor integrated HockeyApp or another analytics provider. I assume you are running on Android - if you're lucky you might find something useful in the logs, but I wouldn't count on it. Sorting out your exception handling is the first step.

You need to clarify what you mean by "close" and "come out of the app". It is very difficult for people to help you if you do not clarify what you are doing.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:52 PM
  • User191123 posted

Do you have any code in you OnSleep Method within the App.xaml.cs which could lead to an exception?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 2:58 PM
  • User295378 posted

@JohnHardman The msg is displayed when the user closes the app

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:48 PM
  • User295378 posted

No I dont have any code in my OnSleep Method

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:50 PM
  • User89714 posted

@Nani_777 - I still don't know what you mean by "close" even after asking three times. Until you clarify that and implement exception handling and/or integration with an analytics provider, it's not going to be productive to suggest anything further.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:05 PM
  • User53115 posted

Is it this bug?

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:08 PM
  • User89714 posted

@JoeManke - It could well be, but there's no way of knowing if we're not given the exception details and a description of the user's actions :-(

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:13 PM
  • User295378 posted

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pec.android&hl=en

this is my app link download it just open it nd close it come out of the app and you will find a pop up

Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:44 PM
  • User295378 posted

@JohnHardman close means just coming out of the app

pressing the back button from mainpage

Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:46 PM
  • User89714 posted

@Nani_777 - "pressing the back button from mainpage" puts the app into background, from where the operating system may or may not terminate it.

If your app uses MasterDetailPage and you see the problem in debug builds as well as release builds, then you might be hitting the bug that @JoeManke referenced. However, you will need to capture details of the exception being thrown to confirm whether this is the case or not. If the problem occurs in debug builds, you should be able to capture the exception information using the debugger. If the problem only arises in a release build downloaded from the app store and you currently have no way of capturing the exception details, you probably want to add support for HockeyApp, Xamarin.Insights or another analytics package to your app, not just because of the exception you are seeing now, but also to be able to track any other problems that might occur in production.

Or, you could just try re-building with the latest pre-release of 2.3.4 without doing anything else, but that won't solve the underlying supportability issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 6:13 PM
  • User295378 posted

yes my app uses MasterDetailPage and problem is in both debug and release builds I'll try to look into the exception details and also consider rebuilding in updated version thanks @JohnHardman

Friday, March 24, 2017 3:59 PM