Workflow to remind to review the document RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a document Library with different document types. This is MOSS 2007 server farm. Those documents have to be reviewed on the regular bases base on the custom data column (Published Date type: Data and Time, Date only) value. I need to set up a standard workflow that will remind us to review the content of the document for accuracy every 30 days.  Any suggestions?

Thank you

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

I understand that you are using the Information management policy to start a workflow and repeat multiple times .You need to specify a recurrence period .This recurrence period will based on the passing of a defined time period since the activation of the last Retention Stage.

You need to check the ‘‘Information Management Policy’ timer job  in Central Administration .This timer job is set to run weekly .You can change it to start daily .In this way ,the workflow can be triggered properly .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:27 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

I think SharePoint custom timer job is better suited for your requirement. By scheduling timer job to execute in every 30 days and check the condition. You can either start a workflow from timer job or send a email from custom timer job itself.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Like I stated before, my company policy does not allow any custom changes in SharePoint. The custom timer job is out the question.

What I did was to create a Document Management Policy that starts 30 days from custom document property: Last Review date. The Policy would start Approval Workflow. When document has been reviewed, reviewer resets the Last Review Date. SharePoint sets the Expiration Date’ value automatically. The new Expiration date could be viewed on document Property by Right clicking on the document in list and select ‘View Document Property’ If ‘Expiration Date’ value is not set correctly, click on ‘Remove Exception’ to force SharePoint to recalculate the Expiration Date

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/user

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:07 PM

All replies

• You could create a workflow in designer that would wait 30 days from the date created and then send an email reminding them then wait 30 days agian and so on...
    Monday, July 16, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Thank you for your reply, but SharePoint Designer is not an approved tool. I need to accomplish it with standard MOSS 2007 workflows

Monday, July 16, 2012 8:30 PM
  • Hi  David,

I understand that you want to set the workflow to start every 30 days based on a custom data column .Since you want use the Approval workflow created in browser ,here are some workaround:

1. Create a custom timer job to  trigger the workflow .You can create the approval workflow to start on item change .Use the timer job to edit an item .In this way ,the workflow will be triggered .You can set the timer job interval to 30d .
    2. You can configure how often the built-in workflow job "wakes up" (or rehydrates) ... but you want to be careful with that one because it applies to ALL workflows.  the custom timer job does not affect all workflows.

For more information ,please refer to this site:

Creating Custom SharePoint Timer Jobs: http://www.andrewconnell.com/blog/articles/CreatingCustomSharePointTimerJobs.aspx

Job-workflow: Stsadm property (Windows SharePoint Services): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc424946(office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:18 AM
  • Thank you Entan for your reply.

Unfortunately, I can not deploy a custom timer job. Company policy does not allow any customizations or SharePoint Designer.

I created an Approval workflow. To start the workflow I created an Information Management Policy that will start the Approval Workflow base on the custom column value. It is working only ones. It will not kick the workflow on the next iteration.  I am guessing   the reason for that is that the Workflow status is shows as completed. Is there a way to remove workflow status from the item in the document library?

Thank you.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hi ,

I understand that you are using the Information management policy to start a workflow and repeat multiple times .You need to specify a recurrence period .This recurrence period will based on the passing of a defined time period since the activation of the last Retention Stage.

You need to check the ‘‘Information Management Policy’ timer job  in Central Administration .This timer job is set to run weekly .You can change it to start daily .In this way ,the workflow can be triggered properly .

Thanks,

Entan Ming

Entan Ming

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

I think SharePoint custom timer job is better suited for your requirement. By scheduling timer job to execute in every 30 days and check the condition. You can either start a workflow from timer job or send a email from custom timer job itself.

Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Like I stated before, my company policy does not allow any custom changes in SharePoint. The custom timer job is out the question.

What I did was to create a Document Management Policy that starts 30 days from custom document property: Last Review date. The Policy would start Approval Workflow. When document has been reviewed, reviewer resets the Last Review Date. SharePoint sets the Expiration Date’ value automatically. The new Expiration date could be viewed on document Property by Right clicking on the document in list and select ‘View Document Property’ If ‘Expiration Date’ value is not set correctly, click on ‘Remove Exception’ to force SharePoint to recalculate the Expiration Date

Thursday, July 26, 2012 1:07 PM
  • Hi David,

I reviewed the thread and I understand you can’t use a custom timer job or SharePoint Designer workflows, only OOTB workflows.  And you set the workflow to start on an expiration date.  It runs the first time but then when you change the expiration date and want to reset the workflow to start on a new expiration.  I’m not sure if that can be done since the WF already ran.  At this point, unless anyone else on the forum thread has anything to contribute, you might want to engage paid support to either verify it can be done OOTB or not.

Gregg

MSFT

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 5:44 PM
  • Gregg,

The work around for Workwlow restart is the following: When document has been reviewed, reviewer resets the Last Review Date. SharePoint sets the ‘Expiration Date’ value automatically. The new Expiration date could be viewed on document Property by Right clicking on the document in list and select ‘View Document Property’ If ‘Expiration Date’ value is not set correctly, click on ‘Remove Exception’ to force SharePoint to recalculate the Expiration Date. It is working now withh the work around. Thank you.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:42 PM