Appinit_DLLs not allowed for a metro App ?

Question

• Hello,

generally, we need to package our DLL along with the metro app for it to get loaded upon the app launch. But, if I have a DLL which needs to be loaded onto several metro apps, then something like "Appinit_DLLs" feature would be helpful (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744762(v=vs.85).aspx)

However, I have a dummy 32 Bit DLL which I am trying to load onto my couple of my Metro Apps (32 Bit) using the Appinit_DLL feature, which is not going thru. I did follow the steps (configs in the registry) mentioned in the above link, but in vain. Please, let me know if we are not allowed to use Appinit_DLLs for our metro Apps?

Interestingly, I was able to load a dummy 64 Bit DLL (using Appinit_DLL) onto the Internet Explorer App (iexlpore.exe) and Control Panel All (systemsettings.exe) which were basically launched from the WIN8 TILE interface. I guess, these two apps are no different from the legacy windows apps and does not run inside the app container like the other metro apps?

Regards,

SN

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:34 AM

Answers

• Correct. AppInit is diametrically opposed to the isolation design for Metro style apps. All DLLs for your app need to be included in the app package and there is no way to provided to load arbitrary modules from elsewhere.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, March 5, 2012 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:56 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Correct. AppInit is diametrically opposed to the isolation design for Metro style apps. All DLLs for your app need to be included in the app package and there is no way to provided to load arbitrary modules from elsewhere.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, March 5, 2012 8:28 AM
    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 5:56 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks Rob!

Regards,

SN

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:21 PM