I am confused with asp.net 4.5. When looking at forms of authentication, the options are: Federated, Forms, None, Passport, Windows. Where is "identity" RRS feed

• Question

• User-858993849 posted

In what I read, "Forms" has been depreciated for authentication in 4.5, and now we should use identity. But I don't see "identity" as an option. 

Can someone explain the confusion to me?

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:00 AM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

It wasn't really a matter of Forms Authentication being deprecated, but rather the built-in system that managed authentication was overhauled. Previous versions of ASP.NET used a very basic system of Forms Authentication (basically authentication tokens stored in the browser) and then that was later brought into what was referred to as SimpleMembership. SimpleMembership made things a bit easier as it allowed users to easily manage "members" within their application and handled things like Roles and other common scenarios.

MVC 5 once again overhauled this system and introduced the ASP.NET Identity Model, which is based off of OWIN :

I would also recommend checking out Brock Allen's blog post on OWIN Middleware Architecture above. Brock was a major contributor for Claims-authentication as well as many of the other newer authorization / authentication features that have been released in some of the newer versions of ASP.NET, so he would be probably one of the most knowledgable folks out there on the topic. He provides an excellent post on discussing this updated Identity Model here as well, which is worth reading.

But I don't see "identity" as an option. 

The updated ASP.NET Identity is now default for all new ASP.NET projects (e.g. MVC5+) that use any of the starter templates within Visual Studio. It's quite easy to distinguish from the previous versions of ASP.NET and Identity as you'll generally see a set of Models (IdentityModels, etc) :

// You can add profile data for the user by adding more properties to your ApplicationUser class, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=317594 to learn more.
    public class ApplicationUser : IdentityUser
    {
    }

public class ApplicationDbContext : IdentityDbContext<ApplicationUser>
    {
            public ApplicationDbContext() : base("DefaultConnection")
            {
            }
    }

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 8:19 AM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

It wasn't really a matter of Forms Authentication being deprecated, but rather the built-in system that managed authentication was overhauled. Previous versions of ASP.NET used a very basic system of Forms Authentication (basically authentication tokens stored in the browser) and then that was later brought into what was referred to as SimpleMembership. SimpleMembership made things a bit easier as it allowed users to easily manage "members" within their application and handled things like Roles and other common scenarios.

MVC 5 once again overhauled this system and introduced the ASP.NET Identity Model, which is based off of OWIN :

I would also recommend checking out Brock Allen's blog post on OWIN Middleware Architecture above. Brock was a major contributor for Claims-authentication as well as many of the other newer authorization / authentication features that have been released in some of the newer versions of ASP.NET, so he would be probably one of the most knowledgable folks out there on the topic. He provides an excellent post on discussing this updated Identity Model here as well, which is worth reading.

But I don't see "identity" as an option. 

The updated ASP.NET Identity is now default for all new ASP.NET projects (e.g. MVC5+) that use any of the starter templates within Visual Studio. It's quite easy to distinguish from the previous versions of ASP.NET and Identity as you'll generally see a set of Models (IdentityModels, etc) :

// You can add profile data for the user by adding more properties to your ApplicationUser class, please visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=317594 to learn more.
    public class ApplicationUser : IdentityUser
    {
    }

public class ApplicationDbContext : IdentityDbContext<ApplicationUser>
    {
            public ApplicationDbContext() : base("DefaultConnection")
            {
            }
    }

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 8:19 AM
  • User-858993849 posted

Thanks Rion, I can always count on you to help!

Friday, February 20, 2015 8:23 AM