Control Y !!! RRS feed

• Question

• What have you people done to Control-Y ????  For the past 10 years that I've used Windows this meant REDO (opposite of UNDO).  In VB2005 it deletes a line.  SERIOUSLY!!!  not funny.
    Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:56 PM

Answers

• Control Y deleting a line pre-dates windows.  (I remember it from wordstar back in 1983)

That being said it is likely that you have chosen a profile which had these mappings.  

You can change them or pick a new profile.

Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard

Mapping scheme.

Hope that helps...

Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:09 PM

All replies

• Control Y deleting a line pre-dates windows.  (I remember it from wordstar back in 1983)

That being said it is likely that you have chosen a profile which had these mappings.  

You can change them or pick a new profile.

Tools -> Options -> Environment -> Keyboard

Mapping scheme.

Hope that helps...

Thursday, May 11, 2006 4:09 PM
  • It helps me...but I don't think it helps too many people that M$ decides to switch around shortcuts on us from one version of VB (or any other M$ software) to another :-\
    Thursday, May 11, 2006 8:37 PM
  • Ctrl+Y was Yank line in VB6, so you could argue that we shouldn't have switched it to in VS.NET/VS.2003/VS.2005

Seriously, getting the shortcuts set up in a way that suites everyone is impossible. There are too many users who insist that emacs/vi/VB6/VC++6/<pick your editor> have the only acceptable set of keyboard bindings.

This is why we have the different keyboard schemes, and also let you change keyboard shortcuts for individual commands.

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

Thursday, May 11, 2006 9:32 PM
  • On Visual Studio I know it allows you to select the Profile when you initially start up so get the choice.   I didnt see it in express at startup.

Which version of VB.Net are you using ?

I dont think Microsoft arbitarily switch things around on you,  it may be that you the version you are using didnt prompt for a Profile (which I think happens in VB Express) or it may be that you selected a default profile of VB (for a visual studio product) in which case you'd get the VB profile and not the Visual Studio one.

I dont know which it is but does going to this option and resetting your mapping cure the problem.

Friday, May 12, 2006 1:48 AM
  • Express edition...wow!  It took me 9 months of usage to find one "missing feature" [that I care about] in the express edition
    Friday, May 12, 2006 11:55 AM
  • Is that a good thing ?   That it took you that long to find a missing feature...
    Friday, May 12, 2006 4:03 PM
  • HA! I gotta say I was a bit perturbed.

For the longest while, I've just been using Visual Web Developer while previously using Visual Studio and have become accustomed to the Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-Y as well as them being in other apps (Office is the only one that comes to mind).

Well today, I got into Visual Basic Express and was doing some undoing and redoing parts of the code and suddenly the lines would start cutting out. I didn't think anything of it as I figured I mis-keyed, but it JUST-KEPT-HAPPENING.

I was really getting confused and ended up turning on hotkeys and saw the Redo was Shift-Alt-Backspace. WHAT?? I've never used that anywhere before.

I then went into the keyboard mappings and looked at all the mapping options and none of them had Redo as Ctrl-Y. I only remember using Ctrl-Y to cut when I was doing Pascal many years ago. But have really just been using mainly Ctrl-X or Shift-Delete to cut.

Anywho, seems I'll set it manually to Ctrl-Y and ask Y this single app uses it to cut a line as it seems to be an ancient method. (I think the keys Ctrl, X, Delete,  and Shift existed way back then) Seems most logical to use a key that looks like a removal like X or Del, with the combination of Ctrl or Shift to cut.

Just thought it was funny to see this post and had to reply as I wanted to see if I was just messed in the head.

Nathan

Saturday, June 3, 2006 6:07 PM
  • CTRL-Y is redo in microsoft office as well as dreamweaver, firefox, internet explorer and MANY text editors.

CTRL-Y is the current established standard for redo.

The fact the microsoft failed to use the established standard in Visual Studio.net is exactly that—a failure.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Since we don't have a time machine, we can't really go back and change what the keyboard bindings in earlier versions of Visual Basic do, now can we :)

Microsoft ships a set of keyboard bindings in Visual Studio 2005 and later that, as closely as possible, mimics the keyboard bindings in Visual Basic 6 and earlier versions. As it turns out, there is a large number of people out there that like those settings. In this context, it is pointless to argue what CTRL+Y should or shouldn't map to.

Personally, as far as I'm concerned, there are two usability issues hidden in this story:

1) The choice that users make when first launching Visual Studio doesn't make sense for many users. The fact that choosing Visual Basic there means that you'll end up with the VB6 keyboard scheme is non-obvious.

2) We only ship one "profile" (or settings file) in Visual Basic Express - the Visual Basic one - which means that users don't even get to choose their settings. This means that they end up with the VB6 compatible keyboard bindings, which may not be what the user expects.

If you save the XML fragment below into a file called "DefaultKeyboardSettings.vssettings", you can import them into VBExpress 2005 (Tools->Options->Import/Export Settings->Import Settings) and you'll have the "default" VS2005 settings:

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="us-ascii"?>

<UserSettings>

<ApplicationIdentity version="8.0"/>

<Category name="Environment_Group" RegisteredName="Environment_Group">

<Category name="Environment_KeyBindings" Category="{F09035F1-80D2-4312-8EC4-4D354A4BCB4C}" Package="{DA9FB551-C724-11d0-AE1F-00A0C90FFFC3}" RegisteredName="Environment_KeyBindings" PackageName="Visual Studio Environment Package">

<KeyboardShortcuts Version="8.0">

<DefaultShortcuts>

</DefaultShortcuts>

</KeyboardShortcuts>

</Category>

</Category>

</UserSettings>

Microsoft Visual Studio
    Thursday, July 10, 2008 11:54 PM
  • I want to add one quibble to this old thread, since this particular issue has bitten me many times.  It may be that CTRL+Y began it's life as line delete, and that is the more accurate keyboard shortcut choice for VB.Net.  But here's something to consider.  If you come to Visual Studio expecting CTRL+Y to delete a line, and you find out to your chagrin that it is redo (or most likely, nothing apparently happens at all), you will stop, see nothing happened, then try CTRL+X or some other shortcut (whoa, hey, there's MORE THAN ONE OBVIOUS CHOICE!) or delete the line manually.  No big deal.  But suppose you come to Visual Studio expecting CTRL+Y to be redo (and guess what? it's the only obvious choice), and you hit it.  Almost always, you will have done some undoing (or else why would you redo?), so you find to your chagrin instead, that a line disappears for no apparent reason, over and over, and now you've lost all the changes you want to redo.  Your entire redo stack has been wiped clean and there's no way to get it back.  Either you reload the file (if you're lucky enough that the changes you were undoing had been saved), or you manually try to recall and redo everything that was lost.  What an ABSOLUTE PAIN!!  Btw, I'm not speculating some hypothetical scenario that might happen to unlucky users - this has happened to me more times than I can count, and it's UTTERLY FRUSTRATING.

How silly, isn't it now, to think that the choice between two possible, equally-justifiable behaviors for the same keyboard shortcut is arbitrary and inconsequential.  I think it's clear that it only makes sense that CTRL+Y = redo by default is the least dangerous and most adaptable choice.

Frustrated by design,

~ mellamokb

• Proposed as answer by J_Steve Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:23 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 10:18 PM
  • mellamokb - spot on.   Thanks for saying it better than I could have.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 9:23 PM
  • @mellamokb Exactly right! I just lost some of my code to this. Now I have to start all over again! 
    Friday, September 30, 2011 10:25 PM
  • @mellamokb agreed, I was just searching away to stop this, I just lost an hour of code just because i wanted to see what was the original looked liked. I did just changed my edit.redo shortcut but still some reason ctrl Y is deleting instead redoing. So looked over all the edit. shortcuts and found that edit.lineCut has ctrl Y as well. removing that solved my issue.

Oh yea and a suggestion to who ever writes the codes for the option screen, If  you add a search function with shortcut would be nice, i wouldnt have to look for it one by one.

Asp.net, Vb.net

• Proposed as answer by drewex Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:38 AM
    • Edited by drewex Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:43 AM
    Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:38 AM
  • Just happened to me.  God that's annoying.  Microsoft: CTRL Y = REDO.  That's your own rule.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:25 AM