Getting “Placement target needs to be in the visual tree” error with Flyout.ShowAt

Question

• I've got an app bar button with a menu of options:

<AppBarButton x:Name="AddButton" x:Uid="AddItem" Icon="Add" RequestedTheme="Dark">
         <AppBarButton.Flyout>
             <MenuFlyout>
                  <MenuFlyoutItem Label="Option 1" Click="MenuFlyoutItem_Click" Tag="option1"/>
                  <MenuFlyoutItem Label="Option 2" Click="MenuFlyoutItem_Click" Tag="option2"/>
                  <MenuFlyoutItem Label="Option 3" Click="MenuFlyoutItem_Click" Tag="option3"/>
             </MenuFlyout>
         </AppBarButton.Flyout>
     </AppBarButton>

The intention is that when the user picks an option, a Flyout window appears next to the button where the window allows the user to provide further information, e.g.:

<Flyout x:Name="MediaTitle">
        <Grid>
             <TextBlock Text"Title" Style="{StaticResource BaseTextBlockStyle}" />
             <TextBox x:Name="descTitle" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="0,30,0,0" TextWrapping="Wrap" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="300" />
             <Button x:Name="descTitle_OK" x:Uid="OK" HorizontalAlignment="Right" Margin="0,73,0,0" VerticalAlignment="Top" Click="DescTitle_OKClick" />
        </Grid>
    </Flyout>

The Flyout is defined in the page resources section.

In my code, I go:

MediaTitle.ShowAt(AddButton);

but I then get the error "Placement target needs to be in the visual tree".

Is this happening because the button is on the AppBar and not on the page "proper"? If so, is there a way to fix this?

Sunday, February 16, 2014 3:44 PM

Answers

• It turns out that the answer is straightforward - I just need to make sure that the app bar (containing the button) is visible.

Code/logic that I had omitted from my question was resulting in the app bar closing, hence the error.

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• It turns out that the answer is straightforward - I just need to make sure that the app bar (containing the button) is visible.

Code/logic that I had omitted from my question was resulting in the app bar closing, hence the error.

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for sharing your answer!

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:47 AM