Windows 7 VB project wont work with XP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I made a
    small windows project under visual studio 2010, It working perfectly with
    windows 7 , when I tried to run it under XP didn't work :-(

what can I
    do to have it work in both windows 7 and windows XP , or at least to work under

any idea

i would be grateful

adelr5@yahoo.com

• Edited by AdelR5 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:22 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:19 PM

Answers

• Make sure that the .NET framework is installed on your XP machine.  The framework may not be present and it will be required -- this is a free download: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263 (other framework versions also are available).

Otherwise, you will have to state what "doesn't work."

Dick

Dick Grier. Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications 4. See www.hardandsoftware.net.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Youen Zen Wednesday, May 23, 2012 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:12 PM
  • I advise opposite upgrade because dotnet framework 4 can be installed on windows xp but needs to be done manually to properly install. dotnet framework 3.5 -> dotnet framework 4. Also, dotnet framework 3.5 is included with windows 7 so no need to install it.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:43 PM
    • Proposed as answer by The Thinker Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• Make sure that the .NET framework is installed on your XP machine.  The framework may not be present and it will be required -- this is a free download: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/aa569263 (other framework versions also are available).

Otherwise, you will have to state what "doesn't work."

Dick

Dick Grier. Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications 4. See www.hardandsoftware.net.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:12 PM
  • I have no issues with my vb2010 programs running on Win7, Vista or XP.

Do you receive an error message?

VB6 -> VB.Net learner FoxPro -> SQL Server learner

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Hi adelR5,

I develope on XP machine for Win7 and also on Win7 for XP. No problems in any situation.

But when You develope on Win7 and VST2010 the Xp machine must have the following software installed (except NET 1.1.)

regards Ellen

This is a XP machine:

Ich benutze/ I'm using VB2008 & VB2010

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:43 PM

• adelr5@yahoo.com

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Correct if I am wrong,
    I am using windows 7 and visual studio 2010 and I have .NET framework 4

I understood that I need
    to downgrade .NET framework 4 to 3.5 or 3 depending which .NET framework
    installed in the user machine

Which means that I
    must download .NET framework 4 to the other machines OR I must downgrade .NET
    framework to suite the targeting machine

adelr5@yahoo.com

• Edited by AdelR5 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:32 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:31 PM
  • adelR5 your error is too vague still with picture because I get that error sometimes  but usually it means some fatal error occured during operation of your application. ALso, did you check projeect settings? For instance, change dotnet framework to dotnet framework 4 in project settings with application after its installed on all machines.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:40 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Hello AdelR5,

Correct if I am wrong,
    I am using windows 7 and visual studio 2010 and I have .NET framework 4

I understood that I need
    to downgrade .NET framework 4 to 3.5 or 3 depending which .NET framework
    installed in the user machine

Which means that I
    must download .NET framework 4 to the other machines OR I must downgrade .NET
    framework to suite the targeting machine

adelr5@yahoo.com

You can choose to install the framework4.0, which I advise you downgrade or framework from 4.0 to 3.5, with the disadvantage that you have to take up the code and delete or change anything that the compiler reports as an error, because all new functions available with the 4.0 framework will not be in the 3.5

Regards.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:39 PM
  • I advise opposite upgrade because dotnet framework 4 can be installed on windows xp but needs to be done manually to properly install. dotnet framework 3.5 -> dotnet framework 4. Also, dotnet framework 3.5 is included with windows 7 so no need to install it.

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:43 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:42 PM
  • Can operating
    system windows 2000 and XP take 4.0 frameworks?

If yes i
    will upgrade the end user systems to 4.0 framework so that the program will
    work.

Best
    regards

adelr5@yahoo.com

• Edited by AdelR5 Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:47 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Hello AdelR5,

Can operating
    system windows 2000 and XP take 4.0 frameworks?

If yes i
    will upgrade the end user systems to 4.0 framework so that the program will
    work.

Best
    regards

adelr5@yahoo.com

Windows 2000 xp is not that I know but why do that when you install you can include it in the file by clicking Once the basic installation so that when the user installs your application will also install the framework 4.0. With ClickOnce, however, we go out from the scope of application.The other alternative and downgrade but then you correct any compilation errors because of the 4.0 new features not present in 3.5.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Yes but the you need have the user logged off and do in silent mode over network because that works better instead of in your own installer - solution timed network task that runs when the users logged off. I will help you with silent mode switchs which are the same for all *.msi filetypes if you wish but download the seperate stand alone dotnet framework 4 installer which will work instead of just installing with visual studio. I have to do for work all the time on ibms and dells install dotnet framework 4 on windows xp but less now then i used to but its still easy to do.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:52 PM