none
WPF Course RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am thinking of creating a VB oriented set of examples for people who might like to learn WPF. 

The courses will consist of a Word document that outlines what the particular lesson is about , how to do the code (XAML and VB) and what that course is meant to teach.  It will also consist of a VB project that can be used to test the lesson.

Is anyone who regularly follows this forum interested in this?  If so please respond here.  If I get a positive response I am retired so the lessons might be presented as they are done as it is summer in Canada and my bike calls me to ride every morning.

I wait to see if there is any interest in this.

Thanks

Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen

• Changed type Alex Li-MSFT Wednesday, June 19, 2019 5:35 AM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hi

I would be interested.

Have tried a few times to get started with WPF but every time got fed up with documentation/examples being just plain wrong. (or maybe outdated)

I am also retired and although I don't have a bike, I have other things that drag me away from the computer.

Regards Les, Livingston, Scotland

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:12 PM
  • Hello,

You might consider writing these examples on the MSDN code site. You can write a series of articles which I've done many times. Another option is to setup a GitHub repository and then use Git in Visual Studio to upload code plus perhaps instead of word documents use GitHub markdown (install this addin by Microsoft to write markdown inside of Visual Studio). GitHub repositories can be setup so that you have a master branch, at starting point then create branches off the master which would represent part of a series.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:28 PM
  • That sounds like a good idea although I haven't used Git other than to occasionally download something I have found on forums.  I will investigate Git but if it takes a long time I would rather just create a shared folder on my Google Drive so that people can download each lesson (which would just be in a sub-folder for each lesson.

Lloyd Sheen

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:46 PM
  • You are certainly right about finding answers and samples on various sites.  So many times I have searched for seemingly days to find an answer but eventually have to put code from various examples together to do what I want.

Also most of the samples/answers are for C# so for a VB developer it might take a while to translate.

Lloyd Sheen

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 10:49 PM
  • I say go for it, but I would also say design something using MVVM with WPF too., a UI design pattern

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/228214/Understanding-Basics-of-UI-Design-Pattern-MVC-MVP

I learned how to use WPF from the below article.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd419663.aspx

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:05 PM
  • MVVM would be a major part of the lessons.  Not using that pattern makes WPF just a pretty UI maker.

Lloyd Sheen

Thursday, June 13, 2019 12:20 PM