Confused about code location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm very new to LS, coming from a VBA and VB.net background.

By default the LS projects are split into 3; Main project, Client and the server.

As far as I understand, I can put my codes in one, then link it to the other.

But what is the correct placement and logic ? If for example I need a very custom function depending on 3rd party components, where should I place it ? What are the limitations ? Can I use entities everywhere I write a code ? Last but not least, when should I use LightSwitchApplication namespace ?

BTW, I am using LS 2013 and I think there are some changes in this manner, comparing to older versions.

Thanks..

Cemo

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Cemo,

From your description above, it's recommended to create your first LightSwitch application, and you will understand these questions well.

Step 1: Create a LightSwitch Project
    Step 2: Define the Data
    Step 3: Create Screens
    Step 4: Run and Test the Application

See: Creating Your First LightSwitch Application

If you want to use 3rd party components in LightSwitch application, you can search relevant discussions in our forum, there are many discussions about this.

If you want to learn to the new features in Lightswitch, you can refer to this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/htmlclient.aspx

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to help. :)

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:17 AM
  • Hi Angie,

Thanks for your answer.

I have basic knowledge about LS, and began to develop a complicated application already.

I am just trying to figure out code locations as I asked in my original question.

To be specific;

I have a third party email component fetching emails through IMAP.

And I need to use both emails and entity objects in the same function.

Where should I write my function ?

In which folder should I store it, should it be inside a module or do I need to create custom class ?

When shoul I use "LightSwitchApplication" namespace ?

I hope my question is clear now.

Thanks..

Cemo

Friday, December 5, 2014 5:26 PM
  • To be specific;

I have a third party email component fetching emails through IMAP.

And I need to use both emails and entity objects in the same function.

Where should I write my function ?

In which folder should I store it, should it be inside a module or do I need to create custom class ?

When shoul I use "LightSwitchApplication" namespace ?

Hi Cemo,

I didn't use third party email component fetching emails through IMAP before, here is Beth's blog about receiving emails from smtp server in LightSwitch, perhaps it will be helpful for you.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bethmassi/archive/2011/01/27/how-to-send-html-email-from-a-lightswitch-application.aspx

hope it helps.

Best regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 12, 2014 9:37 AM